Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: D lusitanicum new start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D lusitanicum new start

Started a couple new plants because I am a huge fan of this plant and I miss my other one! Thought it would be fun to show how I am growing them and how they progress.
    So an update since they have been growing for a couple weeks now since germinating and I just recently decided to take some photos.

Anyway so here you go:
    Shot of the set up and some background to get up to speed.
    Originally I had both seeds in the small pot hoping that at least one would germinate and I would then just let it grow and transfer it to the big pot once it got large enough. I find the hardest part is not germinating them.. but getting them to survive beyond that to adulthood. They are extreamly susceptible to damping off for the first couple months or so. One seed sprouted and about a week later the other started poking out a root. So just as the second was breaking out of the seed coat I moved it to the large pot to settle in there. Guess this means I will have to get mix for another large pot later and try transfering the other at a future date.
    The bulbs are those indoor 26w CFL spot lights. I have also used 42w spiral cfl with success in the past. Either way they need to be within a few inches of the plants. One bulb for one plant!!!Drosophyllum love sun!

Couple close ups of the slightly older plant which is currently unrolling it's first nonseed leaf. If you look close you will see a couple small flying insects already ensnared! These are the most amazing CPs at catching bugs. They are literally bug magnets.

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! What procedures did you use to germinate them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you take the cover off the cfl flood you will get a lot more light from it\
    congrats on the baby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job..I can never get the seedlings to live that long...too wet or too dry...I can't get it just the way they like it.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More power to ya, Tony! I have a hard time keeping them going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric -
    I use a nail file to scarify the fat end of the seed just through the black seed coat in a little spot, then soak the seed in RO water for a day or two. The seed then go into the mix, just barely covered. Keep moist but not sopping. Some warmth seems to help so the lights are on for about 16-17hrs/day.

Mickey -
    If I remove the cover I will have nothing but a 26w spiral cfl. I chose the floodlight for the mirror reflector on the inside glass. So unless you have a tip to remove just the face of the glass but leave the mirror reflector intact I could just as easily switch back to my 42w spiral cfl inside the clip on lamp. The problem though is clip on lamps have poor reflectors and the light at the plant level is brighter using the floodlamp with the internal mirror reflector. I may have to just break down and get myself a nice high power cfl fixture used for hydroponics or supplemental greenhouse lighting.

Exo -
    Just a touch of water every other day or three... The pots sit in very shallow water while waiting for germination, so the mix is thoroughly wet all the way through until they germinate. Once I see germination I don't water again until the surface looks like it is almost dry. Then I just water around the plant with about a tsp of water whenever it looks almost dry. There will still be quite a bit of moisture down deep in the pot for a long while so I don't rush to sit the pot in water again for a while.

My previous plant which I lost one Summer after we had days and days of rain rain rain and cold temperatures ;x
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just saying today how I'm lacking one of these. Very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're off to a great start with those two seedlings Tony.

Do you put any compost or soil/peat into your Drosphyllum media mix or do you go with an all mineral mix for this species?

dvg

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast