What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous season

Very well grown Tony. Don't be afraid to give them a bit more light if you can. Then they will look like the natural ones like this

RIMG0107.jpg

IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/picrophyll/erythrorhizaorange3.jpg[/IMG]
07-08-2007104.jpg

erysquamosa1.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

RIMG0107-1.jpg

P5290421800x600-1.jpg

WOo looking good Travis and Mach! Thanks for the updates! I will see about some photos this week if we get some decent sun..Not sure there is much to photograph that I haven't yet. My stolonifera group is coming up now and I noticed D. gigantea poking through.

Nice pics Paladin!

I keep telling myself that one of these years I am going to get some artificial supplemental light so my plants get some nice color for a change. This year imparticular has been especially dreary and dismal outside for the longest time ;<
It's kind of a catch though for this part of the country during Nov. - March.. with nice sunny weather comes cold cold from the North. So I have been fortunate so far on the heating bill..

Yeah.. that's all we're good for up here. Shooting cold weather to you down south. :p

I'm afraid to plant my d. erythrorhiza ssp squamosa
:blush:

theres no way i can provide short, briiiiiiight days & warmer nights

D. graniticola
DSC_00040002_6.jpg

DSC_00060003_5.jpg

DSC_00070004_5.jpg

DSC_00030001_21-1.jpg

Over all I suspect that the reason many of the tuberous species are doing well for me is that my conditions are mild even my winters and summer are not that extreme. Winter days are still warm 60's nights perhaps in the 40's at the lowest so far and on average most years wont go past low 40's..... Summers days are in the 70's so many tuberous species just keep on growing. Very possible for me to plant some in the spring and grow over the summer and get them 2 growing seasons per year

Note to self... read up on tuberous dews and give them a try one day. Dang those are pretty. Good growing everyone!

I'll send you some tubers come spring if you'd like Damon.

Wow, Thanks! Not sure I have the room. If I have some room, i'll hit you up. I'm sure I can send you something in return.

These photos are gorgeous. I'm currently trying to grow some D. peltata ssp. auriculata seeds, but only one has sprouted and it's not doing too much. I'd really like to grow some tuberous species, but perhaps I'd have better success with established plants. Do tubers tend to become available as winter progresses? I know one US vendor currently has one species, but the price seems a bit high (or is that typical?).

Tubers are a much better route initially. Except for the pink flowered D. peltata which is kind of a weed and fairly easy as long as the seed are fresh. Most of the rest are difficult to germinate and take years before the tubers are large enough to produce a decent size plant during the growing season.

Usually you will find tubers available only during their dormant season. It is really the best time to unpot, divide, ship, etc. When the tubers are in active growth they are easily damaged and damage or disturbing them may stop them from forming tubers that season. Which as you can figure.. no tubers= no plant next year.

As for price? I dunno which vendor or which species. They can be a little expensive I guess for some species. They can be slow to propagate for some species that are reluctant to produce more than a single tuber each year. Others not too bad once you have some mature plants that will produce an extra tuber or two each season.

You guys have motivated me to snap a few more..

IMG_9425.jpg

IMG_9427.jpg

D. lowriei 'Giant'

IMG_9405.jpg

D. menziesii ssp. menziesii

IMG_9413.jpg

Gah! So awesome!

Starting to get nervous that my other 8 tuberous pots aren't showing growth yet. :down:

Wow, so many nice dews. I need to acquire the patience for the seasonal growers. So far I've been lucky to have my pygmies grow as long as they have, oddly enough.

Thanks for the info, Tony. I guess I'll be on the lookout next season.
Mass - beautiful plants and photos!

Couple updates
D. macrophylla ssp. monantha in flower now from page 5
Dmacrophyla_monantha2011b.jpg

And a really pale D. stolonifera type wondering where the sun has been this Fall..
Dstolon2.jpg

Back