What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis care

Heli

villosaholic
I am recieving byblis seeds and I am getting mixed answers for this question. What are the temp ranges for them after germination? I want to stick them in my heli setup but was thinking that it might be to cold at night in the 50's. Would I be able to grow them on my windowsill? I get humidity in the 40-60s and temps of the high 60s at night to the low high 70s low 80s during the day. Which would be a better place to put them? Thanks, Luca

I'm no Byblis expert but I had mine germinate under pretty much the conditions you described for your windowsill.

How long did they take to germinate?

I wish I could remember...maybe a couple weeks or so? I dunno, I just threw the seeds on standard 50/50 mix, bagged up the pot, put it in my terrarium and got a couple seedlings that took off. Unfortunately mine decided to be a true annual after flowering (and I was too lazy to collect seed) although I've heard they sometimes can stick around longer.

Is it B. liniflora or guehoi or filolia....? B. liniflora is the easiest and a lot of people do a 10% bleach solution before putting the seeds on media. Room temp seems to work.

its liniflora. I want to put it next to my heli setup so it can get light when germinating but the temps are on the low 70s there, should I put it next to a tiny heat mat?

Ooops, good thing I was referring to B. liniflora too.

The B. linaflora seeds I planted started germinating in just under 2 weeks. The conditions were mid 50's F. at night and the mid 70's in the day and good light. They grew well in those conditions, too. When the summer temps came and it was getting into the mid 80's F. they didn't seem to mind. This is a lovely species and I'm really surprised more people don't grow it. I guess it becomes an option once you get into growing from seed. I suspect it is possible to ship seedlings, though. Good luck, HeliLover!

- Mark

I had plants surviving as low as the 40's and as high as the 90's. Room temp, give or take, is just about right. This is growing on a grow rack. Picture taken a few minutes ago:

008-3.jpg

would love to try it but can't find any seeds,do these need a smoke treatment?,would burning hay work?

I never did any of that myself...might increase germination rate but I got seedlings with just sowing them right away.

if i get some seeds i might try 2 pots on smoked and 1 untreated, wonder if happy smoke will work better

Are there any humidity requirements?

Mine were always around 50-60%

Mine were always around 50-60%

Same here. I didn't do any kind of treatments to the seeds - 'just laid them on the media surface like you'd do for easy-germinating sundews.

- Mark

Hello. I am very new to CPs from seed. However, I had excellent success with germinating byblis. I gave them humidity of about 70%, with no temperature control (70-40F), kept well moist. I fed the seedlings springtails and two months later they are doing great.

how big a pot do u grow them in

how big a pot do u grow them in

they have relatively shallow rootsystems. mine are growing in a 2.75" square pot. savage garden has a picture of them growing in a bonsai dish.

Mine was maybe a 3 or 4" pot. I did it mainly for surface area reasons as I wasn't sure how much I would end up getting. Was enough room that I didn't need to transplant.

Back