What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tea, Anyone?

I know that if I pour the liquid from my Nepenthes on to my hands it does burn a little bit but I have never seen any long term effects such as a rash or burn. Perhaps I will apply some Drosera and Pinguicula leaves to my skin for a long period of time to see if they have an effect.

LOL human guinea pig...

Isnt the dew full of digestive enzymes. Proteins that cleave larger molecules into the constituent blocks. It cant be similar to Aloe Vera dew and I'd think putting it on a wound would not be very pleasant in a long run. The enzymes produced by VFT are similar to that of dew and can digest skin (check sarracenia.org).

I recall reading that there are few enzymes present in the waiting sticky trap. Once prey is detected, the enzymes are secreted. I assume fresh dew is relatively harmless.

I know that if I pour the liquid from my Nepenthes on to my hands it does burn a little bit but I have never seen any long term effects such as a rash or burn. Perhaps I will apply some Drosera and Pinguicula leaves to my skin for a long period of time to see if they have an effect.

I have a friend who is allergic to all the dewy CPs. They give him rashes. I haven't had a problem though ???

I would apply the dew, and not apply the leaf since it may start excreting the enzymes. Maybe you could test both and tell us the enzyme concentration in the dew initially, and the dew after the leaf excretes the enzymes...and see if what I remember is correct ;)

Anyone get any info on using drosera leaves to brew tea? Tis the only practical modern purpose I can think of using them for, and they might have a marketable flavor :-))

Sometimes there is rotundifolia syrup/extract on eBay!!

Back