What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. graomogolensis

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Did a few divisions a while back. You can see them mixed in with the bigger plants.
There all doing much better now being brought back in for the winter. I don't think I will even bother putting them out at all next summer. They always do much better for me in a tank in the basement. Much more controlled environment.
JMatt

dsc05928a.jpg

Lucky you. Mine hated me and just died.

Lovely plants!

is that milled sphagnum you are using?

Aphids and mealybugs will kill them quickly so you're probably better off indoors anyway.

Gorgeous plants!

Looks like a plant from Aaron May's collection! Very beautiful.

Amazing! Looks like the jealousy is starting to settle in... :p

I hope mine will look even half as good as yours!

:hail:
Lemme know if you interested in trading some leaf cuttings. Those are gorgeous..

Beautiful plants - congrats!

What diameter is that pot (& how tall)?

Excellent plants. :-D Have you ever had any "Slime mold" or whatever it is on your Sphagnum? Whenever I use dead sphagnum, it becomes slimy.

^Same

MIcrowave it for 5 minutes without adding water (MY METHOD) and then add your distilled water and pot up. It shouldnt be too hot after you add water but check carefully. Never get mold or moss or anything on my sterilized media.. ON my non sterilized media i always get moss or slime

Thanks guys for the nice comments.
I don't use milled sphagnum moss with these, just good quality dried sphagnum.
I also add some chunky perlite to the mix. I owe all of my success with this plant to Av8tor1. He told me to grow it in a very deep pot, in just long fiber sphagnum moss.
The first year or two I grew it in a pot that was 6" wide by 8" deep. It did great, but when I wanted to repot it in fresh sphagnum I noticed that the roots had went 8" to the bottom of the pot and also round and round a few times. I decided to search for an even deeper pot. Now I have them growing in an 8" wide by 16" deep pot sitting in about an inch of water. They love it. These plants really do have some serious roots!
They started to flower once last year, but aborted for some reason? Maybe this year will be different. I really don't have any problems with slimy sphagnum, maybe because the sphagnum stays good and damp but not totally waterlogged all the time?

Thanks again Av8tor1 !!!!! :hail:
JMatt

Beautiful plant, Jeff! I too have been following Butch and Warren's advice and my plants are also doing very well . . .

Oh wow, those are dew-tastic! :drool:

Nice dews!! Thanks for sharing!

So beautiful!
What conditions do you have yours in?

See Fernando Rivadavia's write up on this plant in the Dec 1996 issue of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. He notes in cultivation his plants produce practically no seed and even in the wild they produce very little seed. It propagates easily from leaf cuttings.

Back