What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum in winter photo...

Brie

Sarracenia freak
I just came across this photo, figured i'd share it for those who are scared about their droso living with rain/winter weather... I personally wouldn't try this with a plant under a year old, but i've heard of people doing this with adult plants.. And now found a photo..

DR_lusitanicum_JF_36.jpg

Wow... I'd love to see the picture of it when spring comes around, just to verify.

Awesome... Any photos of the plant in spring? I've heard that snow actually protects plants from cold temperatures, though having never had to deal with snow or temperatures more than a few degrees below freezing, I wouldn't know if that's true or not. The Czech Republic does get quite cold in the winter, much colder than what is normally stated as Drosophyllum 's low temperature limit. I wonder at what point the grower brings it inside...

no, no other photos.. I just found that one on a foreign plant site. I've read that they can be cold hardy down to 20f, but I personally havent wanted to test mine lol

If I get several of these seeds to germinate this winter, I am going to leave one or two out all next winter to test this in large 12" pots and put this burning question to rest in my mind. I won't be surprised if they can survive a winter here in the pacific northwest, but will stock up on tums anyway :lol: I will take pics and document this here through the following spring.

DJ, sweet! Looking foreward to the experiment

Back