What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis alba x Venusta?!?

dionae

sarracenia lover
Hello everyone. Is it possible to cross these and is this the result? I've been trying all summer without knowing if its possible and the only seedlings i've started are venusta and d cap alba. These should have been a pot of venusta but???. Any help is appreciated.

77656.jpg

1360d.jpg

c198b.jpg

dunno they kinda look like capensis but either way they look kinda cool :)

not sure if they are able to be crossed if they are that would be neat

I dont have any regular D capensis. Just alba and all red. These def arent alba or all red.

capensis x venusta should be possible...i think their chromosome count matches up.

that being said, i've seen plenty of capensis seedlings, and what you have doesnt look like any kind of capensis i've ever seen. the leaf length is too short in relation to the petiole.

wow dionae! agreed- if those are regular D. capensis, they'd be the most deformed D. capensis I've ever seen :) I think you managed to successfully cross them, so I'll give you a premature congrats. Be sure to keep feeding them and post ur results in a few more months once they've sized up a bit more!!! Looks like there might be some typical D. venusta seedlings in there too, so maybe you can weed them out if u think they're not the hybrid to give the other plants more room.

For the genetic confirmation of the cross, there is some info on this older thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124382

This is a list of all the apparently tried successful crosses: http://droseraceae.kakurezato.com/all_hybrids.html

concur. I can get some photos of D. venusta seedlings and capensis seedlings together so it would be possible to compare. But leaf blade shape is very different form both ...

Thanks for the repies and the links! I was just looking closely at them and there seems to be some all green ones with clear dew too. My D cap seedlings have longer, tubular shaped traps. These are shorter and more round. Amazing...I tried all summer with several flowers and had finally just given up.

I repotted several and will post pics of the progress of the seedlings. Thanks again for the replies everyone:)!

Looks like you invented D. capillaris. Looks like there are some with wider petioles too.

Interested to see what they grow up to look like

Theyre really taking off since transplant. I'll update in a week and show how much theyve progressed:).

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Btw, since they have they same amount of chromosomes will the hybrid be fertile?

Back