0 Thread(s)
    LOL Awesome!
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos DVG! I agree they do look like some alien squidy octopus thingy as they emerge ;>
    Look forward to seeing how they do for you. Any info on how you are growing them? lighting, pot size, mix etc etc?

I see alot of sand or is that a top layer for where the seed are germinating?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's so cool. I've gotta get off of my duff and get one of these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Job
    What's your germination procedure? How long did they take to germinate?
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Great photos DVG! I agree they do look like some alien squidy octopus thingy as they emerge ;>
    Haha, they do look squiddish...here's one of the seedlings with an arm free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Look forward to seeing how they do for you. Any info on how you are growing them? lighting, pot size, mix etc etc?

I see alot of sand or is that a top layer for where the seed are germinating?
    I have been following your seedling success with this species, and have tried to follow, to a certain degree, what you have been doing with your recent Drosophyllum seedling starts.

The lighting being used is a 2 tube 4' T8 shoplight that's a few inches above them.

Once i can determine how many seedlings will survive this first attempt with them, i'll give them more intense light.

They are presently in 3" peat or coir pots, with a few extra holes drilled in the bottoms and sides of the pots for an easier pot breakdown once the successful seedlings are potted up, still in their present pots, into a larger terra cotta pot.

I tried to emulate you media mix by using chunky perlite, akadama soil, kanuma, lava rock, coarse silica sand, pumice and a tiny bit of peat.

Then i chose to use a top layer of quartz sand to fill in the gaps of the chunky mix, so the seeds wouldn't slip between the cracks, but i do find that the sandy top layer does dry out quite quickly, so i have to check in on it a couple of times per day in this early going.

Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Nice Job
    What's your germination procedure? How long did they take to germinate?

Hi Richjam,

The fat end of the seeds were scarified with a file and then the seeds were soaked for a few days until most of them no longer floated.

Seeds were then sown in a mix that resembled their own current mix with a top layer of quartz sand.

The night time lows for the propagation container was around 10C, and the daytime highs were from 20 to 24C

Germination took about 3 weeks.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update on these Drosophyllum seedlings.

Today, i moved 2 of the seedlings underneath their own 42 watt cfl and they both seem to be adjusting well to the extra light.

The seedling below, comes from a Spanish locale, and is busy working on its fourth leaf now.

And this seedling, from a locale in Portugal, now onto its third leaf, already smells of that sickly sweet aroma that some have described as resembling the scent of honey, and produces more mucilage than the Spanish seedling.

The seedlings, currently in 3" peat pots, are soaked in the inverted green saucers they are sitting on in the top pic, with just enough water to barely cover the bottoms of the dishes with the peat pots inside them.

The water is then allowed to wick up into the peat pots for a few minutes or until it is gone.

To give the top of the media a bit of moisture, i'll water around the rim of the pots, making sure to stay well clear of the plants in the middle.

The top of the media stays very dry this way and the outer surface of the peat pots will be dry to the touch by the next morning, just in time for the next daily soaking...so far, so good with my first attempt at these.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking really nice DVG!

Do you notice similiar mucilage production with your other seedlings too? I wonder if it is because they are from different locals or not. Mine are from Spain and seem to make just as much as your seedling from Portugal

Mine are deffinately getting quite strong in the scent department also.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony,

Sadly all of my other squiddie seedlings didn't make it.

Admittedly, i think the sand top-dressing dried out much too quickly for their liking.

Another seedling from the Portuguese locale popped up a couple of days ago and it was moved to a more open mix sans the sand on top.

That one has been kept quite moist with a trace of water in it's dish during the day, so time will tell how that one does, but i think i got lucky with the two seedlings i have on the go now.

I'm not sure that there is a whole lot of difference between the Spanish and Portuguese seedlings, other than what i had observed between those two at the time.

The Spanish seedling, though larger in size and development, didn't smell, whereas the Portuguese seedlings was giving off a noticable aroma.

And the Spanish seedling seems to have rebounded in making more mucilage...it may have been adjusting to being the under the bright lights for the first day there.

My plants are just about at the point of development that yours were at when you started your thread on this topic a few weeks back...looking forward to seeing the progress of your plants and these as well.

dvg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast