Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosophyllum rising...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your observations, this plant is still surrounded by mystery in some areas. I find it valuable to hear of others' take on it.

I have 7 new seedlings of my own and I've been following Jan's cultivation guide. I can't remember if he used to write on this very forum or not but I seem to have downloaded his guide at some point from some thread...So if you are reading this, thank you Jan!

I heeded his advice and have been keeping them very wet as I noticed all my previous attempts failed due to the medium drying out too quickly; I think their not liking water is a bit of a hype, at least in the early stages. That makes sense as they seem to germinate better when the temps come down in autumn. I am from the mediterrenean region of Turkey and it is pretty cool + wet in autumn; I don't understand why some people think seedlings should be treated like cacti.

Still, I have sooo many questions of my own...To feed or not to feed ?; just how important is sunlight if they do germinate in autumn out in nature ?; less peat or more peat ?; when to start letting them get a little dry between waterings...etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Maxima,

I admit that i made the mistake of treating them like cacti seedlings, but with my cacti seedlings, i keep them in closed ziplock bags until they are of a good size and then i let them harden off.

The Drosophyllum seeds do seem to need to be kept wetter until they start germination and begin sending up at least a couple of carnivorous leaves.

Then they can be kept on the moist side.

And they do not seem to mind being fed springtails, fungus gnats or even fruit flies as long as the feeding is not over done.

Tony put his two seedlings a half inch under a 42 watt and 26 watt compact fluorescent bulb respectively and his plants have responded well to the light.

I followed Tony's lead and have each of my two seedlings also about a half inch under their own 42 watt cfl, and they are growing steadily.

My plants are each growing in their own peat pot, which are monitored a couple of times each day for moisture, and a little water is added each day on top around the perimeter of the pot and also a little water is allowed to be wicked up from the bottom of the pot.

I judge the moisture level in the pot by the dryness of the outside of the peat pot and also by the weight of the pot.

Since i'm a beginner with this species, i'm proceeding quite cautiously with this first attempt.

My media (think Pinguicula mix here) is mostly a mineral mix composed of chunky perlite, lava rock, pumice, kanuma, akadama clay, coarse river sand and some silica sand and just a very tiny bit of peat as well.

Maxima, let us know how you do with your seedlings.

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 01-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to hear some other experiences. My biggest challenge has always been to get them past the first few leaves. If they can get past that point without turning into black mush they usually do ok. I do think they need a fair bit of water but there is that small window when they just start to germinate and before they harden up a bit, they seem very prone to just up and rotting before your eyes. Being so small though they are also quite susceptible to drying out quickly. Sorry to hear you lost some of your seedlings DVG. Looks like you have a couple going strong now.

I burned out my 42w bulb and had to switch back to the 26w. Instead of replacing the 42 I decided I would try a new fixture and bulb. I would like to keep one permenantly indoors and I think I need a better setup to do that. The 42w would work but they are a tad big for the clip on reflector light and it is a little on the weak side unless you get it practically touching the plant.. SO I got myself some new toys. Will post in my thread.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 more germinated which brings the total to 10 seedlings for me. Good news is everything that ever germinated is still alive.

I am trying a different setup with every seedling to see what works best in my conditions.
    I am not using any artificial lights because I want them to understand it's winter time and adjust accordingly. I think it's important for plants to be aware of the photoperiod and temperatures. However, if they don't make it, I will surely use light bulbs next time.

Even as a seedling it's very resistant to cold. One of the seeds germinated outside with daytime temps of 12-13C and night time temps of 5-8C. I left her outside to see if she will make it.

However, another seedling (approx a month old) which I moved outside just stopped growing and has been the same for a good few weeks. It might be the moving shock though; I don't think it's unhealthy as it's always dewy. Others born before her have already doubled in size. All my seedlings are exposed to the same night temps (10-12C) so I am starting to think it's mainly the daytime temps that affect their growth.

Will be adding pics soon, good luck to both of you and to myself of course

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Maxima,

That's a good idea to experiment as you are doing.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a best case scenario and an optimal range for growing Drosophyllum in your conditions.

Are you experimenting with your media mix too or are you sticking with just one media formulation?

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey dvg,

You guys have a wonderful mix, I haven't even heard half of that stuff you're using. I envy you.
    Unfortunately my options for media are very limited over here; basically I am alternating between perlite, peat and vermiculite; playing with the ratios and combinations. I could find sand but a few of my plants died/stopped growing because of it, so I don't trust it and use it anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxima, you should be able to find a happy medium with the ingredients you have available to you there.

Another update on my two dewy pine seedlings.

Here is a pic of the Portuguese seedling currently pushing up it's seventh leaf,

with its Spanish counterpart also working on it seventh leaf.

Both seedlings are still in 3" peat pots and are lightly bottom watered each day.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking great dvg! It's a good idea to tag plants, I have spanish and portugese seedlings mixed with no way to tell them apart anymore...I should open up a thread for myself one of these days, I keep invading you guys'.

Can you smell the sickly sweet honey yet ? Mine have a strong scent right now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast