What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it too soon to bring dews out of dormancy?

In a recent move I lost several of my plants, and all my dews (you know how it is when you move). A fellow to whom I gave a few sarracenia said there were a few dews in one of the pots, and that I am welcome to some of them. I had forgotten about them. Not sure what they are, just some nice little hardy dews of some kind. I know they are hardy, because they have survived several winters bundled up in those pots. They are all nice and snuggled down into their hibernacula now, have been for a couple weeks or so. My question is, if I root a few out, bring them inside, and plant them up on my grow rack will they be all right? With such a short dormancy that is? Or should I wait until spring?
I received a very nice care package full of leaf cuttings and seeds recently from a very generous soul, so I'm on my way to getting back on my feet again, but I thought it would be nice to start up a few of these too, since they are from my original collection.
What do you folks think? :scratch:

safe rule of thumb regarding NA CP dormancy: dormancy induced no later than halloween, and woken up no earlier than valentine's (according to the SG)

also, i've heard it best that such things like cuttings should be done right before the dormancy awakening period, as this is when all the plant parts start to wake up. i've never tried making cuttings in peak dormancy periods...there's a chance that you could be successful, or you might have roots that do nothing and die before they can strike...

i would wait till mid Feb.,but I just leave all my dormant plants outside for the winter

Since they are already in dormancy,
I would simply let them finish it out over the next couple months. (About 3 to 3-1/2 works for me.)
That way with a little patience now, you will have some healthy plants ready to kick it up for the whole up-coming growing season.
That way there is no worry in the future, of the plant "fading" from lack of rest, especially since the plants have already closed down & entered dormancy. It seems a waste otherwise, and with them in it already, there is no real work to get them to prepare for it.

Simply keeping them in the right conditions for a bit more time is all it takes now anyway...be it the garage, outdoors, or in the fridge'. It is certainly a lot easier than trying to get plants that are indoor grown, to 'enter' dormancy. Yours are already there!

Well, whatever you decide....
Good Luck!
:water:

Ok, so I'll wait until spring, or the end of February anyway.
That's pretty much what I figured, but I thought I would ask the panel.
Thanks to everyone for the comments, much appreciated.

Back