User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suitable droseras to grow in the tropics.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think a typical filiformis will last long without dormancy...'red' can do without it but not sure on tracyi either.

I would think you would have good conditions for the SA dews
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Not a number - Thank you for your suggestion Will be hunting for them soon.

@jpappy789 - Really? Mine seem to be doing fine at the moment... I guess I'll just keep propagating them to prevent them from dying out I'm pretty sure I can't grow SA dews. It's really hot here!

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm not sure whether they would be fine with consistently high temps although I'm sure they would love the humidity. It's not a group of Drosera I'm all that familiar with...
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Cindy,
    Do you grow hybrida? This plant absolutely requires a dormancy in my conditions (as do filiformis - except red).
    Hi Ron, I have not grown it before but filiformis (both green and red forms) does very well in our conditions in full sun. Basically, the plant continues to grow as the weather here is almost summer year round. We experience the same for VFT and Sarracenia. Multiple offshoots are produced even though the mother plant dies off sometimes (likely due to lack of dormacy). Overall, the plants end up more bushy.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cindy - very interesting! I never would have thought they could grow there. Those plants form hibernacula for me even when growing in a terrarium with the same photoperiod all year...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ron, the amount and intensity of light make the difference.

My balcony is in bright shade for about 4 months out of the entire year so the temperate sundews do go dormant during the longer monsoon seasons but not every plant. Sometimes, the dormant ones wake up from a very short nap...sometimes, they don't. So I conscientiously take cuttings and collect seeds to maintain the species in my collection. In just 2 years, I lost my entire sundew collection because I was too busy...

Growers with gardens outdoors have better results. The temperate species thrive throughout the year.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheng, I see you know Cindy! Are you aware of her wonderful book on "Growing Carnivorous Plants in the Tropics". It is a valuable reference and great read for those who have the problem of lack of variation between day/night temps in the tropics and the species that that can be adapted to these conditions, well worth the purchase for constant reference.
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12