What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis 'Baines Rocket'

I recently acquired a couple plants with this ID, but can't seem to find ANYTHING online about it. Anyone know the story behind the Rocket? ???

Mass - you probably already know this but ICPS shows no cultivar by that name. Technically that means the name should be shown in double quotes (" ") rather than scare marks (' ') which are reserved for registered cultivars. For what it's worth.

I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a picture of this interesting-sounding variety.

I would like to see a pic too

I have never once heard of this plant. Pics or it didn't happen!

can't seem to find ANYTHING online about it. Anyone know the story behind the Rocket?

My Google tells me about a story that a user "Dave Evans" posted on another forum in the year 2008.

- the plants look much like D. capensis "Baineskloof", but are a little bit different
- as they do not set seeds, they are probably some kind of infertile hybrid
- the originating nursery had renamed them to the "Rocket" name for selling, so that nobody confuses them with the real D. capensis "Baineskloof" (which easily set seeds)

My Google tells me about a story that a user "Dave Evans" posted on another forum in the year 2008.

- the plants look much like D. capensis "Baineskloof", but are a little bit different
- as they do not set seeds, they are probably some kind of infertile hybrid
- the originating nursery had renamed them to the "Rocket" name for selling, so that nobody confuses them with the real D. capensis "Baineskloof" (which easily set seeds)

I'll be sure to post some pics in comparison with "Baineskloof" when they are "show worthy".

'baines kloof?'

nevermind.

so anyhow.... pics!

so Bain's Kloof and Bainskloof are both correct. And the correct term for the other cape would be Bain's Rocket. Gotcha..

Here's an update..

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

Last edited:
seems to me like Baines Rocket is more of a fastigiate form than a typical capensis. Perhaps thats why they are a "rocket"?

that was my assumption as well..

I just wanted to comment on how awesome that moss looks on the surface, and how awesome your capensis looks :-D

It looks like the outer leaves, which are the oldest, have been there awhile. Do they always remain upright? That would be pretty unusual for a capensis.

'Nice looking plant, Mass!

Back