What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy Giant Capensis, Batman!

Brie

Sarracenia freak
Or should I say capensis 'Giant'... A carepackage arrived for me today, including a fair number of these seedling to young D. capensis 'Giant'... Needless to say, I AM MOTHER:censor: STOKED! :boogie: I was expecting ONE plant.. not.. a zillion!

Even all effed up from shipping, and young, I can definitely tell a difference in them.. For one, they have finely haired leaves.. Not super visible in these pics, but you can KINDA see em on the largest plant in the pot of little seedlings.. I'm really hoping the majority of these survive the shock of me painstakingly seperating them from the weedy club moss and junk and carefully planting them...

a few quick pics before putting them away...
6693762059_1cc56336f1_b.jpg

6693762009_a6a23cb9b6_b.jpg

6693761961_83f8eee79a_b.jpg

looking forward to the updates after some tlc,see if they live up to there name,how big do you think they will get

ask.. and you shall receive.. a zillion.

Sweet! I'll look forward to seeing future pics posted by you, Brie, as they grow and prosper.

If anyone can get really big out of these plants you can, Brie. I've seen the photos of your "broad-leaf". That thing's a monster. :)

brie sent me some cuttings and seeds from her broad leaf.

hey brie, ive decided if any of the seedlings turn out to be oustanding in any way i'll name it "Brie's Classic Broad Leaf" or "brie's Classic" for short :hail:

Uh, hello, I have a question about this species...
I have a small one (like an inch across) in 1:1 perlite-peat...
You since 2 days ago or so, a couple of little brown spots appeared on the base of the leaves (I assume, the end of the roots considering that so far, it has no true "stem")...
So far it had grown well... I'm afraid it's dying under my nose...
Am I missing something?

You since 2 days ago or so, a couple of little brown spots appeared on the base of the leaves (I assume, the end of the roots considering that so far, it has no true "stem")...
Am I missing something?

I cant really say, from your description.. could you take some photos to post? Would be much easier to tell if something is wrong that way... :)

uhh.. well.. I dont know where to begin on that one.. Too wet? too cold? too much nutrient? Air too dry or shock? Not enough light? Could be anything.. is this plant brand new? Did you JUST get it? Was it shipped to you?

Ok... Let's see... I received it little over a month ago...
Too wet, nope, just like all the others, about 1cm of rain water... Cold, nah, not over 30°C, not below 21°C... Dry air, maybe, humidity is low this time of the year... Nutrients, on bug like 3 weeks ago, a small betta fish food like once a week (last time yesterday)...
Light, 7~8 hours of sunlight about 6 days a week (the other one is usually cloudy)
Shock... Weeeelll... It kinda fell like a week ago, mi mom let 3 pots fall, lost one D. burmanii that day... But sequels of that event would've showed right away, right?

Well, all I can say is that plant is definitely dieing.. And no, consequences arent apparent right away. It usually takes a while.

Well, all I can say is that plant is definitely dieing.. And no, consequences arent apparent right away. It usually takes a while.

F^<|{
And I though I was doing good so far...

Just an idea: what brand of perlite and peat are you using?

Am I missing something?

From the picture, looks like possibly fertilizer in the soil or bad water? As another poster suggested, may be fertilizer in the peat and/or perlite you used. Miriacle Grow and some other brands use fertilizer in everything even though they do not always list it on the package. It also looks very wet and could be root rot, but my guess is fert or bad water.

I would repot it in fresh soil known to be free of fertilizer (might try 50/50 peat/play sand mix instead of perlite), check water source TDS or use RO/distilled water, and give it more sunlight. Keep the soil on the moist side and not soppy wet. When you repot it, check the roots. If they are soft, black, and mushy, then it is too late. If they still have what looks to be viable roots, white tips, then it can come back from the root system in time even if the leaves all die back. You may also want to spray the roots with a fungicide as it may be susceptible to fungus with the stress.

Dang, just saw you live in Mexico or I could send you a couple healthy Capes or seed to start over with.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I doubt it was the peat 'cuz all my other plants are in the same batch and they're fine, besides, I got it from a CP vendor... I assume he knows you can't use that stuff (the fertilizer)...

As for the water, it's filtered rainwater... I live less than a mile away from the seashore, so I don't think there are air polutants as if I where living inland...

I'll repor it this afternoon... I have to go to school now :crap: (5 am here)

As for any seed or plant shipping, bad idea... Mail in Mexico is :censor:...
They've "lost" me $35 US figures in customs... And any registrered shipping would be unviable considering I can find them usually around $3 US... But haks for considering, though...

i would say it looks like its going through shock but you said over a month ago so i dunno what to tell you, only other thing i could think of is if you had it inside under lights and then just put it outside one day, that would do it i know i have done that plenty of times

This is the same thing that happened when I topped my Capensis with sand.

It was dead in 3 days >.>

Back