Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some drosera pics..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Awesomeness! Is Albion bog the one in Cali?
    D. trinervia is one of many exotic CPs that were planted/sown and have become permanently established in the Albion bog in northern California, despite eradication efforts by the land owner, The Nature Conservancy.
    http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=1810
    http://photos.forbesconrad.com/calif...ivorous-plants
    http://www.aldrovanda.com/albion_bog_2010

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And.. you beat me to it. Was going to say,"Get ahold of Bob Z. if you'd like more info."

Everything is growing great!
    The D. capensis 'Giant' are starting to flower. Are they self fertilizing flowers like most of the other capes?
    Also seeing sprouts from the 'Bain's Kloof' root cuttings.
    And as you can see, the D. trinervia are taking off nicely.

Thanks again for everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool pics!
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I figured that was the bog. Kind of sad that its a South African sundew with North American location data...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the only question I have regarding the Albion Bog would be.. WHY IN THE WORLD would people want to introduce non-native species there?!?!?! I'm sure it's all well before my time here, but I can see how it became "controversial activity" over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I guess the only question I have regarding the Albion Bog would be.. WHY IN THE WORLD would people want to introduce non-native species there?!?!?! I'm sure it's all well before my time here, but I can see how it became "controversial activity" over the years.
    The only reason I know of is that people want to see that species in the wild, so they plant it close by. It happens all over the place.

I just looked up the Egyptian Mau breed, and I think I found my new future pet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    The only reason I know of is that people want to see that species in the wild, so they plant it close by. It happens all over the place.

I just looked up the Egyptian Mau breed, and I think I found my new future pet.
    That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. Take a trip to Africa if you want to see African plants in the wild.

Awesome breed. You won't be disappointed. We really want to get a Bengal now..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. Take a trip to Africa if you want to see African plants in the wild. .
    Actually, I agree with Graham (wireman). If I lived near a place that might be suitable for CP's, yet had none, I would totally have the urge to plant some things there and see how they did. Not everyone can travel to Africa :P
    That being said I have a strong environmental ethic, and WOULD NOT plant them if they don't belong there (just making that clear).
    But that's why there are flytraps in Florida and northern California, etc. It is a widespread sentiment, and unfortunately not everyone has the sense that it is the wrong thing to do.
    ... Or, were you being sarcastic? Hard to tell sometimes

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

Oh, and I love the plants and pics by the way. Great, as always . I really like the D. menziesii. Cool leaf shape and nice color. I have some peltata seedlings and can't wait for them to start forming stems.
    How far do you have them from the lights? ...That's one thing that has always make me a bit curous when looking at your collection; it seems the lights are sometimes pretty high above the plants, but the plants are obviously doing well.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast