User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crash Course Guide for Petiolaris Dormancy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    @bbella: derrrrr.......thanks.
    @dex: you'd be surprised how easy it is to reach those temps. a relatively small tank, sealed, with an aquarium heater, and direct contact with power compact fluorescents can reach that range with no problem.
    @mluk: yes. hahaha. you were partially responsible---but there were quite a few others dabbing with petiolaris as well. i hope this info helps you out in the future!
    @NaN: awww shucks. you think so? might have to spiff it up....a LOT.
    in regards to the aquarium heater... could you possible post pics or describe what method you use?
    i attempted that and experiences more evaporation than i could handle... and lost the heater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Newspaper: here's a simplified petiolaris setup that i created, others have variations based off of the main concepts.

" You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of how I ran one years back... I did have to fill it fairly often, but not more often then I looked at the plants.
    Andrew

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, sealing of the tank or the majority of it helps retain water for longer periods of time.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta get me another submercible heater!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just a few days into starting to grow these plants and after having doubts about being able to provide enough heat for them I am pleasantly surprised how well it all worked out for now.

My setup consists of a 7g fishtank that is wrapped on 3 sides with reflective bubble wrap (I left one side of the tank open for observation). It sits on top of a single hydrofarm seedlings heating mat (consumes 17W) and 1cm under 4xT8x48" fixtures, on the topmost shelve. Inside, the plants are sitting on top of 2 layers of egg crate with water level not reaching the pots (plants were dormant upon arrival), and the top is covered by a sheet of acrylic plastic with holes drilled in it. The temperature at the surface of the soil in the pots is steady 80F at night and fluctuates a bit from 105F to 110F during the day. The temperature outside the fishtank on the shelf is ~80F during the day and ~70-75F during night.

So far so good. And I noticed yesterday that one of the plants is starting to uncurl a petiole with a little trap on it already

Thank you Amphirion for this guide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gill: you're very welcome and very nice! keep on the look out for continuous trap development, and elongating petioles!
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Here is a picture of how I ran one years back... I did have to fill it fairly often, but not more often then I looked at the plants.
    Andrew

and what beautiful plants they are!!!
    Thanks so much for the help, and the fact that you have the info as images makes it even easy to retain!
    i think my problem was not deep enough reservoir / too much surface area. i blew a heater and will simply need to try again :]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast