Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibberellic Acid (GA3)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What worked for me, in getting seedlings out of the danger zone, was sprouting them in finely ground dried sphagnum. The stuff has amazing fungicidal properties.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok
    I acquired some GA3 at 90% (Powder) . Now for the D.regia seeds i need to know what works best. I will soak them for 24 hrs. I don't have a smidgen spoon or sea monkey spoon, and need to know how to measure at i think 250ppm. Good suggestion and guidance would be appreciated.

Regards
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

"Planting oblivion,beating reason back..." -[Ven 55.7] Redflytrap's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly, you can't mix straight Ga3 into water.
    I believe you need to wet the powder with just the tiniest drop or so of isopropyl alcohol.
    This helps break down the powder so it can be mixed as a solution into water.

To get a solution of 250 ppm of Ga3, you need to mix 100ml of the powder measured out
    (then add the alcohol to it) and mix that into 400ml of distilled water.
    This sould give you a stock solution of 250ppm.
    You should also be warned that this solution does not have a good longevity,
    and that it goes "flat" very quickly (with under two weeks) even when refrigerated.

Also, I wouldn't soak your seeds for more than twelve hours.

Good luck!
    "How doth my dear morsel, thy mistress?"
    -Shakespere [MM 3.02. 54p]

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instructions for using 90% GA3 can be found here or from other vendors selling on eBay:
    http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm

The above link gives a method for measuring ~1 mg portions.

I suggest you download Dr. Norm C. Deno's papers on Seed Germination and Theory which studies the use of GA3 and stratification on many species including several of Drosera. Links to downloadable copies of these papers are provided on the website above.

GA3 will dissolve in water, just slowly. Prepare your solution a day or two in advance. Very small amounts (1 mg) present no problem and dissolves readily.

A working solution of 1000ppm will last up to a year refrigerated as long as it is not exposed to light. 1000ppm is the starting point recommended by Deno. Some species respond better to lower concentrations. Some species may actually be killed by 1000ppm. 24 hours is the recommended starting treatment time. Optimal concentration and treatment time varies from species to species. Outside of Deno's work I'm not aware of an updated study. Allan Lowrie recommends a 72 hour treatment for some Byblis species.

While GA3 can be reused some of the hormone is absorbed by the seeds so each time you use it the concentration is lowered. For most consistent results use it once.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

"Planting oblivion,beating reason back..." -[Ven 55.7] Redflytrap's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly trust Not a number's experience more. I would follow his instructions— ignore mine.
    Thank you for your input Not a number.
    "How doth my dear morsel, thy mistress?"
    -Shakespere [MM 3.02. 54p]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, check out the "Help...." topic in the Sundews forum, where Notanumber and I discuss GA3 to death!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the scoop that came with my 90% GA3. A level scoop is 0.08 grams (80 mg). Mix with 72 ml (2.435 oz) of water to make 1000 ppm solution. From there you can dilute it to what you want: 1 ml of 1000ppm solution + 1 ml H2O = 500ppm solution. 1 ml of 500ppm + 1 ml of H20 = 250pmm solution etc.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and don't take the measurements and preciseness too seriously. There's room for "error".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12