Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibberellic Acid (GA3)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Gibberellic Acid (GA3)

Planted some D. regia seeds a month ago. Mold set in used a fungicide, it came back reapplied it. Nothing sprouted. So i am going to try some GA3 when i get some on some other D. regia seeds, maybe its because i didn't cold stratification the seeds first don't know. Does anyone know a good source to get some? or have tried GA3 on regia seeds? before with good/bad results.

Regards
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    d regia usually germinates easy but you need to be ready to feed them or they will soon die

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firerock View Post
    Planted some D. regia seeds a month ago. Mold set in used a fungicide, it came back reapplied it. Nothing sprouted. So i am going to try some GA3 when i get some on some other D. regia seeds, maybe its because i didn't cold stratification the seeds first don't know. Does anyone know a good source to get some? or have tried GA3 on regia seeds? before with good/bad results.
    D. regia seeds germinate with nearly 100% germination rate when very fresh, without any previos treatment. No cold stratification required and surely no GA3 treatment.

Never tried with old seeds, I have only sown D. regia about 1 month after harvesting.

BTW: Did you take a photo of your seeds? Can you show a good photo of the seeds, taken before you sew them?

Unfortunately I think that some people sell "dead seeds" of D. regia, harvested from seed capsules that failed to pollinate successfully. At least here in Europe it happened more than once, that "bad seeds" of D. regia have come into circulation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firerock View Post
    Does anyone know a good source to get some?
    As others have said, when the seeds are fairly fresh, they germinate extremely well. However, keeping them alive to adulthood can be a bit of a challenge (for me anyway).

As for sources, I see them every year or two show up in the ICPS seedbank and also see some random offers on forums & listserver, usually after mid-summer for Northern Hemisphere. As with virtually all commercially available seed (not just regia), best to buy from a reputable source as the majority of seed being sold is non-viable garbage (imho).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make clearly visible what I wrote in my last posting I found a picture of non-viable garbage and viable seeds for comparison in the German forum:

http://forum.carnivoren.org/uploads/11754.jpg

left ==> non viable garbage harvested from D. regia
    right ==> viable seeds of D. regia

Only if you have viable seeds, you can expect germination.
    In that case and if the seeds are fresh, no cold stratification and no GA3 treatment is needed.

BTW: I tried two times to propagate D. regia from seeds. Both times I had nearly 100% germination rate. But I could not keep the seedlings alive on the long run. All of the seedlings went black and died within the first 12 months after germination.

Germinating D. regia from viable seeds is easy, easy, easy.
    But growing seedlings to plants is hard, hard, hard and leads to dead, dead, dead seedlings.
    At least for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    But growing seedlings to plants is hard, hard, hard and leads to dead, dead, dead seedlings. At least for me.
    Jesse,
    As I noted above, this has been my experience also. John B. pushed me to fertilize the babies (also as Mickey noted) and I think I have 4 that are still alive. Two are struggling but two are growing very well now (roughly 6 cm diameter)

Have you tried fertilization with seedlings?

The 2 pics of D. regia seed are nice but it's a shame the pic isn't on ruled grid paper. Without having the good seed as comparison, it might still be difficult to tell the bad seed. (FYI - there are free downloads of grid to use - here's a sample of 1mm grid with U. nephrophylla seed).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talk to bluemax he has had luck with seedlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have planted seeds! thought about trying Gibberellic Acid on the next batch, maybe i can get a plant some place. Thanks!! guys.

Regards
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast