Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tissue culture updated pics

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,,guys:-)
    Thez_yo: Yes, they are to be potted up in the greenhouse next month.
    CPlantaholic: Most of these jars come from last fall/winter and have only been replated once or twice. Now part of the plants will be deflasked and part will be maintained in TC for further propagation. It is a lot of work, especially having a real full-time job, but I wouldnt be doing it if I didnt find it interesting:-) My TC growing space is only few shelves 60 x 70cm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures look great !!!! Questions: my Droseras have flowers in vitro. Do you think I will get viable seeds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flasker: If the drosera species is self-fertile/self-polinating you might get viable seeds. But even drosera like this will most likely not produce seeds, because the air humidity is close to 100% and the pollen is not dry enough. If the plant is currently on medium with hormones you will not get viable seeds (but that depends on the concentration). Are you thinking of getting sterile seeds right away to save you the trouble of sterilisation process?;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klasac View Post
    Flasker: If the drosera species is self-fertile/self-polinating you might get viable seeds. But even drosera like this will most likely not produce seeds, because the air humidity is close to 100% and the pollen is not dry enough. If the plant is currently on medium with hormones you will not get viable seeds (but that depends on the concentration). Are you thinking of getting sterile seeds right away to save you the trouble of sterilisation process?;-)
    Thank Klasac. My Droseras in TC (also my first Drosera) have flowers (only 4 months old). I don't want to touch them because they are too young. I wait until they are a little bigger before I propagate them in hormone. I am not sure their flowers provide seeds or not. It's great if they can give seeds so I don't need to sterilize them. On average, how long does it take for Drosera seeds in ex-vitro to ripe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flasker: If your drosera has been in vitro for 4 months and is flowering, they cannot be too young. They are adult now. What drosera species is it? Do you have a picture? I think you can deflask most of the plants and replate the rest on medium (cut the flower stalk). Some species you dont even need to use hormones, they create offshoots spontaneously.
    I have never used seeds from in vitro so I never examined how long it takes for them to ripen. The sterilisation process takes few minutes so I dont take that path.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klasac View Post
    What drosera species is it? Do you have a picture? I think you can deflask most of the plants and replate the rest on medium (cut the flower stalk). Some species you dont even need to use hormones, they create offshoots spontaneously.
    Pictures of my D. intermedia cuba (? not sure, I lost label). How can I cut the seedlings for propagation? Cut each leave or divide into small groups? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah! the drosera hilaris looks like drosera hilaris! even through a jar in a jelly.

never thought i'd see drosera flowering in TC
    great pics, thanks for sharing - you truly do awesome work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast