What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schizzy Salad

I find that the take-out containers from Swiss Chalet (a Canadian chicken restaurant) make ideal mini terrariums for Drosera schizandra. I just put in some LFS and a bit of live moss and a few schizandra divisions, add enough water so there's a few mm in the bottom of the container, put the lid on tight and pretty much leave them alone under low light. They only need water every few months!

20tlavo.jpg

Such great-looking plants. Awesome terrarium on the cheap is hard to beat, esp. with such a nice species.

Very nice! What temps is it kept in? How far from what "low light"?
Thanks for sharing!
Andrew

Now thats a good idea! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice. Can't wait for mine to start throwing out plantlets..

I find that the take-out containers from Swiss Chalet (a Canadian chicken restaurant) make ideal mini terrariums for Drosera schizandra. I just put in some LFS and a bit of live moss and a few schizandra divisions...
Completely agree. I'm amazed at how long they can stay happy in a sealed container. Every time I check, there are more of them. While this container isn't from the Swiss Chalet, it definitely held some form of food in a previous life. :-D

Your plants appear to keep growing in the container. Most of mine won't get much larger unless I repot & move them into a tank. ???
They only need water every few months!
Yup & today was the day. I added some water earlier as the live LFS was getting dry. When I saw the thread, it prompted me to take a pic.
Dschizandrababies032112RS.jpg

One of these guys will find it's way into the NASC (when are the dates for that going to be posted - btw??)

Looks like a food container you find that's been sitting in the fridge for a couple weeks at work. Stuff growing in it and nobody will claim it as theirs.

Very nice! What temps is it kept in? How far from what "low light"?
Thanks for sharing!
Andrew

It's in my basement so I'd say minimum of 60F at night in the winter, maybe 80F max when all the lights are on during the day. It's at the end of a shelf which has 4 x T8 fluorescents over it. Not right under the bulbs, off to one side by about 6".

Back