What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundew flowers do not open

hello, as it says in the title, the flowers of my sundews some open and others do not, someone knows why this happens?
I thought it was the lack of light, because light comes to my greenhouse until 11 or 12 and goes until 6 or 7
hopefully it can help me, thanks

Many species of sundews open their flowers for just a couple hours at a time. You may just be having bad timing :p

It could have to do with feeding too, it might not be getting enough nutrients to open them all up.

They do open and close really quickly too...

Most Drosera flowers are ephemeral. It's possible you are just missing seeing them open.

Otherwise if the flowers are aborting then your conditions are not optimal for them to blossom. Either you're not feeding them enough or temperatures and humidity are not in an optimal range.

7 or 8 hours of daylight should be plenty.

by feeding do not think it has many animals in the traps
and the humidity is always between 50% and 100%
may not reach them to see open
but my Drosera spathulata not produce seeds and flowers do not open

Sundew flowers usually open in the mid to late morning.

i have a d. spathulata and it has one fully formed flower stalk and is sending up a second, can you self pollinate and get seeds? or what should i do about trying to get seeds. thanks for your time.

D. spatulata is self-compatible and self-pollinating. You don't need to do anything but you can self-pollinate by hand which might increase the seed set.

Joshua, not to divert from your question, but what does it take to get D. capensis to flower i believe they are the typical variety, they are big and beautiful, and throwing up leaves like crazy, but no flower stalks, could someone pleae enlighten me. Thanks for your time.

monkey your lucky your cape is not flowering it will become a weed and spread to all your pots

Back