User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sundews in their natural habitat.. Great website.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. 'Great website.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your repotted the graomo? Does this mean we get a new pic update?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    Looking at these photos makes me wonder why everyone swears by growing South American drosera purely in living moss..
    The simple answer is - it works. The recommendation for graomo has typically been live LFS - but I didn't think it was the same across the board. I know I grew my D. ascendens in peat mixes when I had multiple clones (and my last one is still in it).
    Looking at all the photos, it looks as though they prefer to grow in moving water. Springs, creeks, etc.
    This is true for many plants as they grow beside creeks or hillside seeps. More than 70% of the Sarr sites I found throughout the south were located on seeps (quite different up north).

As an adjunct to Amp's explanation - the issue I've found the past few years (especially with epiphytic utrics), is that many of them abhor anaerobic conditions during at least part of their annual growth cycle. While they don't grow in live LFS in their native conditions, in our attempts to create a non-hostile environment, top watering live LFS may provide the best means to do that. I've had difficulty keeping pots peat-based mixes from becoming septic. Some plants, like Sarrs, don't seem to care much, but others do.
    I would agree to the sandy peat mix.. Thats what I put my graomo and graminifolia in.. Mix of coarse sand, mixed size perlite, peat and some finely chopped LFS, in 8" tall pvc pots.
    Has this worked for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I know that where I grew up, D. rotundifolia seemed to grow best in places where it was nothing but pure sand, so I always include a lot of it in my mix.
    Interesting. Other than the NJ Pine Barrens, most D. rotundifolia habitat I've visited in the Northeast has been in sphagnum bogs.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen filiformis and intermedia grow in pure sand up in montauk, as well as intermedia and rotundifolia grow in really really airy sphagnum mere feet from the ocean up in the islands of maine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12