User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sundews in their natural habitat.. Great website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sundews in their natural habitat.. Great website.

Figured i'd toss this up here.. personally, I love finding photos of various plants in their natural habitat, as it gives me a better understanding of what kind of conditions to grow them in, and what type of substrate.. Looking at these photos makes me wonder why everyone swears by growing South American drosera purely in living moss.. Looks to me like they mostly grow in swampy, peat areas, or rocky/drier areas..
    http://www.ladin.usp.br/carnivoras/P...era/first.html

D. ascendens

D. graomologensis

D.villosa

D. graminifolia

Growing almost like drosophyllum

D. montana in habitat

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my gosh, those are super cool! I think I might start up a bog garden for sarrs and dews.

Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    Figured i'd toss this up here.. personally, I love finding photos of various plants in their natural habitat, as it gives me a better understanding of what kind of conditions to grow them in, and what type of substrate.. Looking at these photos makes me wonder why everyone swears by growing South American drosera purely in living moss.. Looks to me like they mostly grow in swampy, peat areas, or rocky/drier areas..
    http://www.ladin.usp.br/carnivoras/P...era/first.html
    Well, my soil mix for Drosera always contains at least 50% coarse builder's sand. I know that where I grew up, D. rotundifolia seemed to grow best in places where it was nothing but pure sand, so I always include a lot of it in my mix.

Thnx for the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the green live sphagnum moss is used to help raise the ambient humidity around the plant. sure many of those areas look quite dry, and perhaps they are, but what the photographs cant tell you is that these plants come from very humid environments, whether in the grand sabana, where it's hot and sticky to the tepui tops, where cloud, fog, and mist frequently drizzle, these plants are always surrounded by saturated air.

cant really replicate the humid conditions very well in cultivation, so the living sphagnum moss acts as a buffer in the event of temperature/humidity shifts. but yes, it would make sense to use some type of sandy media inside their mix, since they grow on quartz stone more frequently than not.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    the green live sphagnum moss is used to help raise the ambient humidity around the plant. sure many of those areas look quite dry, and perhaps they are, but what the photographs cant tell you is that these plants come from very humid environments, whether in the grand sabana, where it's hot and sticky to the tepui tops, where cloud, fog, and mist frequently drizzle, these plants are always surrounded by saturated air.

cant really replicate the humid conditions very well in cultivation, so the living sphagnum moss acts as a buffer in the event of temperature/humidity shifts. but yes, it would make sense to use some type of sandy media inside their mix, since they grow on quartz stone more frequently than not.

Okay..
    So since I have recreated those kinds conditions in the greenhouse, which media would be best?
    Sockhom and I have been talking about the best way to grow graomo, villosa, and ascendens lately. And he recommends and extremely sandy peat mix, as opposed to the fluffy LFS I have been using.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for sharing this!
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ---- Albert Einstein
    Food is a important part of a balanced diet.
    My small grow list

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos! I like seeing the in situes. It helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Okay..
    So since I have recreated those kinds conditions in the greenhouse, which media would be best?
    Sockhom and I have been talking about the best way to grow graomo, villosa, and ascendens lately. And he recommends and extremely sandy peat mix, as opposed to the fluffy LFS I have been using.
    I would agree to the sandy peat mix.. Thats what I put my graomo and graminifolia in.. Mix of coarse sand, mixed size perlite, peat and some finely chopped LFS, in 8" tall pvc pots. I think the important thing is to keep em in deep water, and top water them fairly often to keep them aerated. Looking at all the photos, it looks as though they prefer to grow in moving water. Springs, creeks, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast