0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!! those are beautifull plants!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get on average only a few seeds per flower. 8 per pod...if the flower turns into a pod. Some pods more (11 or so) others only 2. Depends on how well you pollinate.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    You'll get on average only a few seeds per flower. 8 per pod...if the flower turns into a pod. Some pods more (11 or so) others only 2. Depends on how well you pollinate.
    Thank you. I have been using a small paint brush to help them along. The flowers are only open one day and then close, and usually only one at a time but sometimes 2, so I am out there everyday "playing God," hahaha. I don't know how long it takes to tell if they are pollenated? I have not seen any noticeable pod swelling yet, so hope that is not a bad sign, but it has only been about a week or so since the first bloom.

Interesting observation: I notice it is not catching and holding near as many bugs as it did last year at this time when not flowering and there are plenty flying around, so wondering if flowering has something to do with that? Like spending the energy on flowering instead of processing food? Maybe all in my head and a stupid question, huh. It seems to have plenty of dew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not getting any green-looking protrusion after the petals die (looks like a seed pod)...might as well see my drosophyllum thread. There are photos and a video showing the pods. Video for sure at least. Anyway, if you're just getting a dead flower with a little black thing in the center surounded by little "leaves"--these are not threadlike--then you aren't going to get ANY seed. If you're seeing pods...they don't swell much.

I too have noticed (main cp collection) a lack of insects. I guess it's just not swarming season yet. My drosos are catching well enough though as they flower. They never did catch really large flies. Mostly moths and smaller insects.

Be careful on the watering. Some sources say they are suseptible to rot at this period. Just keep watering enough to get them through, but not excess.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just took a toothpick and went out and checked. The stalk that is done blooming has 4 green pods under the little pedals and 4 just the little black thing...so that is exciting! Interesting is the first 2 flowers I had left alone, did not help with pollenation, and they have the green "pod." Maybe I should just leave the other stalks alone, maybe I am messing up the self-pollenation thing? I am so new at this, your thread on them is very informative, thank you.

Crap. For watering, I have not been doing anything different and saturated the pot yesterday (it was very dry though). I push a thin long stick way down in the soil and, if it comes up moist, I don't water; if totally dry I then water until water runs out the bottom. Maybe now I will water just enough but not have it coming out the bottom. We are having a hot spell of weather right now, so I will have to watch for wilting of the leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can do it themselves, but better if you help. Use a paint brush for self pollination. Just stick it down there and rub around gently. But try cross pollination whenever you can (if you have another plant!)

I would probably keep doing what you're doing with the water, just be catious.

Sounds good! Congrats on the seed!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the info. I had two flowers from two plants today so cross pollenated those two.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Like'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast