Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Drosophyllum is flowering!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Drosophyllum is flowering!

Hoping for lots of seeds. There are technically 2 plants in this pot, but a third growing from a stem attached to another one that fell down after I cut a flower stalk when it was just a baby; all three plants sending up flower stalks.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

First ones to open fully

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you are one lucky dude! Can I trade a firstborn male child for some seeds?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No thanx, my firstborn still living at home, but if you take him I will give you the whole plant,

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plants, beautiful flowers, beautiful pictures.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you do in the winter with this plant in this climate? I am attempting this plant for the second time and just dont know about keeping it outdoors here. your photo was taken indoors..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Love the tiny stalks on the flowers, what a hunter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewspaperFort View Post
    what do you do in the winter with this plant in this climate? I am attempting this plant for the second time and just dont know about keeping it outdoors here. your photo was taken indoors..?
    The first 3 pics were taken indoors, the last 3 outdoors the first day I put them outside after being in the garage all winter.

They are outside from mid spring until fall, then I bring them into the attached garage after the first couple of frosty nights in fall and put them next to a large south-facing window under shop lights, as close as I can get them, on a 12/12 cycle though winter, where the temps are mid 40's to mid 50's all winter. They stop growing and shrink back a bit, and don't produce near as much dew. I spray them once a month through winter with a very dilute orchid fertilizer/water mix (I really don't know if this is necsassary, but doesn't seem to hurt and makes me feel better, lol). When they start dewing up real good again with longer daylight hours at the end of winter, I feed them small crickets or whatever bugs I can find. I also leave the garage door open in late afternoon starting around March so bugs fly in attracted to the shop light and that helps feed them. I top water them much the same as the growing season, when the top 1 inch or so feels dry. I do not use the tray method for watering. These are in a 10" terra cotta pot, but I think 12" would have been better.

I don't have the expensive lighting system some do, like the halide lights, so that may be why they shrink back and pretty much stop growing and producing as much dew for me in winter. The temps they get in winter in my garage are not much different than their natural habitat from what I have read, and they do survive light overnight frosts without ill effect other than wilting some, but bounce back as soon as the temps rise above freezing in the morning.
    Last edited by DJ57; 05-07-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast