Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Peltata, need advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Peltata, need advice

Hey all

Just got a new D. Peltata today and it's my first tuberous sundew. I know that it should be dormant during the summer but it's alive and well, and the shop keeper said it's been growing for at least 6 weeks already.

When should I dry it out for dormancy, and how long should it sleep?

Also, I managed to get ~30 seeds out of it. Should I sow these now, or store them somehow? I could trade them off potentially too.

Thanks for everything!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that 6 months growing period and 6 months dormancy would work.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dormancy that long isn't necessary. However, let the plant tell you what to do. When it decides it's ready to go to sleep, it will. If not, I wouldn't force it. Also, sow the seeds about a month and a half before you wake the plant up.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really depends on how mild your climate is. Here in Kula, HI I can sow them in the spring, summer, fall and they germinate and grow on time. My climate is cool, mild and very little chance of frosts. So my time frame differs from many people because if I sow in spring it is possible for me to get two growing seasons in one year and get large flowering plants . Temperature and daylenght will give the plant cues as to when it will go dormant. Best bet is to watch for those signs and listen to what the plant is telling you.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it goes dormant it will start to die down to the roots/tuber. Let the pot dry out completely and keep it out of direct sunlight so the tuber won't cook. When you start seeing growth again start to gradually water it again. Tray watering is recommended. How long dormancy lasts depends on the individual plant and your climate. It can be from 6 weeks to 6 months. Typical is around 2-4 months.

D. peltata is rather forgiving compared to other tuberous Drosera and will tolerate some water when dormant.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my pink flowered D. peltata in the same location all year long. They get watered every couple days. They grow when they want (which is most of the year) and drop seed all over the place which germinates within a couple weeks. They do eventually die down for a brief rest sometime during the Summer. I just leave the pots as is and don't bother with any sort of drying off. It really is a weed...
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    I keep my pink flowered D. peltata in the same location all year long. They get watered every couple days. They grow when they want (which is most of the year) and drop seed all over the place which germinates within a couple weeks. They do eventually die down for a brief rest sometime during the Summer. I just leave the pots as is and don't bother with any sort of drying off. It really is a weed...
    Aloha Tony is that the one that was D. peltata ssp auriculata ? I see it doing the same here also.