Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First 2 sundews! Questions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RO=reverse osmosis. It is a process where water is pushed through filters, which takes out the dissolved solids living it clear water, always under 55 tds or so. It works in the same manner as distilled water for cps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some updated pictures. I will repost the older ones so you can easily see how much they have grown, the spatulata especially! I am amazed by these plants.
    Before:

After

Before:

After:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's safe to say you have both the typical and alba capensis there. however, is the alba growing faster and dewier than the typical? My plants are doing the same thing if that's the case. Maybe warmer weather, and the alba tolerates it better?
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering the same thing! The alba is growing a lot better and has a lot more dew. I didn't even order/want an alba and now its doing better than the typical... At least the spatulata is doing well. That one is my favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I think it's safe to say you have both the typical and alba capensis there. however, is the alba growing faster and dewier than the typical? My plants are doing the same thing if that's the case. Maybe warmer weather, and the alba tolerates it better?
    its been this way since forever :P
    when it comes to vigorous growth
    alba>typicals>reds>

and in my experience typicals and reds need more light then albas, when i had my alba and typicals under the same conditions my typical would be alot more dry, and would turn brown on the tips of the leaves, or wouldn't grow hairs sometimes, It went back to normal after I upped the lighting, but then the alba started to slowly decline after getting the extrae hours of sunlight
    growing them together can get annoying when you just want two dewy strong plants, not one good one and one mediocre , In my opinion its best to grow them pretty close to the lights in an indoor setup if you want both plants to look healthy, or give them a few hours of shade in mid day sun if growing outdoors, My alba never had any trouble with intense artificial light, just sunlight, and my typicals are light soakers , so thats the best way I could keep them both happy while being in the same pot....close to the fluorescent lights
    and believe it or not the lighting has alot to do with dew production, most ppl see dry leaves and immediately think its humidity or something but there is a number of drosera that wont produce dew unless in strong light, capensis for one wont even produce tentacles if the lighting is too low

hope this rambling helps
    gl!
    Last edited by Ras; 06-01-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting... my alba get more sun light than the typicals, and the typicals are already getting dry tips and smaller summer growth. interesting that everyone has these same finds, make you wonder why the alba is so hardy.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a t8 bulb and a t5 bulb around 8 inches above the two plants with foil wrapped around it. For more light intensity, I'm going to buy two more t8 fixtures to put in there. The temperature is 78 and Im thinking about adding a fan.

I'm going buy lig fixtures tomorrow. Should I buy two t8 fixtures or two t5 fixtures? I know t5's are stronger but they are a lot hotter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moubre View Post
    I have a t8 bulb and a t5 bulb around 8 inches above the two plants with foil wrapped around it. For more light intensity, I'm going to buy two more t8 fixtures to put in there. The temperature is 78 and Im thinking about adding a fan.

I'm going buy lig fixtures tomorrow. Should I buy two t8 fixtures or two t5 fixtures? I know t5's are stronger but they are a lot hotter.
    I use both only because i have an extra t8 setup and have room for it, but id suggest t5s
    amazing how much brighter they are in comparison
    Ill add pics on the bottom
    the t5 bright and skinny white bulbs and the large dim t8s which are brand new bulbs btw, when seeing them side by side the t5s out shine the t8s so much that the t8s dont even look like they are on
    the t5s are 54 watts and the t8s are 48 watts
    both the highest watts i could find for 4ft florescent setups
    like you said though, they can be almost cold when you touch the t8s but the t5s get a little hotter, you wouldnt want any plants to touch the t5 bulbs or theyd get burnt, you can lay a t8 literally ontop of a plant all day and it wont get burnt
    so it really just depends on the persons preference if they want to have the fixture really close to the plant or not

^had to dim the picture a bit to make the t5's visible

you can see i keep the t5s about 8 inchs away from the plants but still get great color ( the plants on the very bottom usually sit up on the blue tray, i had them down there for feeding)
    http://i39.tinypic.com/34gssw6.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2uh01ky.jpg
    http://i44.tinypic.com/30tqt01.jpg
    ^a few pics of some of the drosera that got color since i put them in there
    so if i were you I would just go with t5s and keep them a bit farther away from the plants, reflective box's help alot too
    gl with finding your lights!
    Last edited by Ras; 06-02-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast