What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Drosophyllum

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Just finished blooming and has a mess of seed pods forming. There are 2 plants in this pot, the 3rd is a branch of the middle one that fell over when it was a small plant and grew into what looks like another plant, but is still attached to the middle one.

IMG_1344.jpg
[/IMG]

And starting to send up yet another flower stalk from a plant growing out the base of the "mother' plant
IMG_1343.jpg
[/IMG]

Dewy leaves forming on one of the flower stalks
IMG_1341.jpg
[/IMG]

Wooo looking mighty fine!! How big is the pot? Looks to be much bigger than the one I used. I need to be able to move mine around with relative ease though ;<
Interesting to see the little leaves sprouting from the node on the stem. I wonder if they will continue to develop. Maybe after the seeds ripen you could gently bend the stem down to another pot and get a new plantlet to root! Or take stem cuttings and get roots to form at the base of the node..

That thing is amazing!! I really like the looks of those plants :)

Wooo looking mighty fine!! How big is the pot? Looks to be much bigger than the one I used. I need to be able to move mine around with relative ease though ;<
Interesting to see the little leaves sprouting from the node on the stem. I wonder if they will continue to develop. Maybe after the seeds ripen you could gently bend the stem down to another pot and get a new plantlet to root! Or take stem cuttings and get roots to form at the base of the node..

The one that fell over when it was a baby never rooted, so I don't think they do or maybe because it was still attached to the other one. I have them in a 10" terra cotta pot and yeah, they are not easy to move around in big pots, but 10" is manageable. I hear bigger is better for these, but for now mine seem to be doing okay with the 10 inch. I have a couple 12" pots I am going to try next year if I get the cold frame put up for them to winter over in. If I had more, I would love to experiment seeing if flower stalk or stem cuttings would root. I tried leaf cuttings and no luck with that though.

i still only have one that germinated dj mut it is still a little green dot , i can see what looks like a tiny leaf forming on the top of it under 30x mag.

hopefully it will grow

i still only have one that germinated dj mut it is still a little green dot , i can see what looks like a tiny leaf forming on the top of it under 30x mag.

hopefully it will grow

As long as you see green, it is okay and should start growing faster soon.

Wow lovely plants! I'm finally having success with this plant for the first time this year. Oddly enough, germination was never much of an issue for me. Keeping the seedlings alive was a whole other story though. What media are you using for yours? I'm using a vermiculite, perlite, sand, and a tiny bit of peat mix. I've also found that mine don't mind to sit in a bit of water. I do let the water disappear before watering again. Good luck and congrats on the seed pods!

Crystal

Wow lovely plants! I'm finally having success with this plant for the first time this year. Oddly enough, germination was never much of an issue for me. Keeping the seedlings alive was a whole other story though. What media are you using for yours? I'm using a vermiculite, perlite, sand, and a tiny bit of peat mix. I've also found that mine don't mind to sit in a bit of water. I do let the water disappear before watering again. Good luck and congrats on the seed pods!

Crystal

I use perlite, sand, pumice, and peat (light on the peat). I have them outside in full sun all day throughout the summer with no tray underneath and top water; bring them under cover when it is going to rain for days on end though. I bring them in the garage for winter in front of a south window and under a shop light.

Yeah, I have no problem germinating either, but the seedlings are another story. I have the best results germinating in my south-facing garden window, which has cooler nights than in the rest of the house, and leaving them there until about 4 leaves or so before putting them under lights, at which time I don't keep them as wet. Peat pots are the hardest for me to keep them alive, I think because they tend to stay more wet and rot the plants. I have much better luck with seedlings when germinated in the pot (terra cotta) they will spend their lives in.

Mine would never elongate and form a stem and all the side buds would start growing. Ended up with a very bushy plant and then it would die...

there was a paper that said you could root these off shoots somewhere...

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/articles/CPNv17n4p106_107.pdf

dunno how strong these off shoot cuttings are in terms of roots...

DSC_00040001_12.jpg

suspect might be an issues with too much sunlight in my conditions. or maybe too much UV light. Will test in greenhouse.

Mine would never elongate and form a stem and all the side buds would start growing. Ended up with a very bushy plant and then it would die...

there was a paper that said you could root these off shoots somewhere...

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/articles/CPNv17n4p106_107.pdf

dunno how strong these off shoot cuttings are in terms of roots...

DSC_00040001_12.jpg

suspect might be an issues with too much sunlight in my conditions. or maybe too much UV light. Will test in greenhouse.

Wow, I thought mine was bushy! Thank you for the link. I am going to try taking a cutting later as in that paper and see what happens.

whoa.. how'd I miss this thread? That droso bush is dreamy Deej..

Thanks. Check out my latest dew pics in DJ57's plant thread, put one in there just for you.

Back