What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GA3 for old Drosera seeds?

Cindy

Staff member
I sowed some Drosera seeds in March and only a few germinated. Then in May, I sowed more seeds in the same pot. None germinated.

Last month, I moved the pot to receive more direct sunlight as the only plant in the pot of several hundreds seeds, a D. hartmeyerorum, is mature and I would like to get it to flower. Still, no further germination from the heat..I .thought it may help break down some inhibitors.

However, after I poured some used GA3 solution (from soaking Byblis seeds overnight) onto the pot surface a week ago...VOILA!!!! The seedlings are popping up!

Anyone uses GA3 on Drosera seeds on a regular basis? The seeds I sowed could be at least a year or more old. :suspect:

Thanks for the useful info!

I dug out some old seeds and soaked them in GA3. Within a week, I have 4 out of 8 species germinating. Not too bad instead of waiting forever.

Another set of old seeds did the same beginning of this year. The bulk germinated very quickly. I thought of throwing away the container but there are still seeds germinating now! ???

Cindy, out of curiosity, what concentration were you using for Drosera?

I think it's around 500-800ppm. I use the smaller end of a sea monkey spoon and dissolve it in 10ml of distilled water.

LOL at "sea monkey spoon"!
I remember those!
:D

If you do not want to wait the three to four weeks you can use Gibberellic acid. This is my preferred method but Gibberellic acid is generally hard to find and pricey when you do. There is a link to a place that sells Gibberellic acid in the links area if you are interested. I add a 1/4 of a "smidgen" of Gibberellic acid to 2 oz of RO water and soak them in it for roughly 24 hrs. This will keep approximately 2 weeks if stored in the refrigerator. For mixing instructions see the Gibberellic acid information page.

From http://www.world-of-carnivores.net/Drosera_propagation.html

More germination observed for the areas where the following pairs were sowed. I think almost all the species germinated except for rotundifolia based on how the shape of the carnivorous leaves and size of the seedlings.

1. D. brevifolia/2. D. burmannii (large red)
3. D. nidiformis/4. D. trinervia
5. D. rotundifolia/6. D. hartmeyerorum
7. D. burmannii/8. D. x snyderii (dielsiana x nidiformis)

Seedlings

Back