What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about dormancy in african drosera

I know it says you can grow these year round but I have also seen a pic where a capensis formed a hibernation bud:

1. Can these plants be put into dormancy?

2. if so I'm assuming their minimum temp is higher than the native plants can take before dying....aka a southeast us winter?

south african drosera can be induced into dormancy, but their requirements for dormancy are much different than dormancy for North American CPs---probably a story for another time since i dont think this is what your question is asking.

1) no, capensis does not enter into dormancy in the traditional sense like VFTs and Sarrs. the leaves may grow slower and smaller, but no hibernation buds are actually formed (i am curious as to where did you find the photo of capensis entering dormancy?) in fact, if kept in these prolonged conditions, the bud just rots and dies.

2) capensis can tolerate temps down to 45F at night without a hitch and well developed plants will grow back from the roots if subjected to flash freezes. (just make sure the roots dont freeze over!)

as an extra note, if grown in bogs, the plants usually survive, coming back from the roots if covered in mulch and the winters arent extreme.

appreciate the help. oi....guess the only solution will be to repot them before winter and take them inside. I'm working to go to a bog setup instead of the tray setup and was hoping there would be a way to keep all my drosera in there but doesn't appear to be so. oh well. re potting isn't the end of the world.

Back