Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Fingers crossed for luck!
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks later, the plants have grown! Only a little if compared to the other species. LOL

Cindy

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those little guys look great, Cindy! About how many germinated from the 40 seeds you planted?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cindy,

I forgot to tell you in the email- I strongly suspect that b aquatica benefit greAtly from being fed. Try feeding them small flies (aphids are ideal) or tiny drops of milk.

Cheers,

Greg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Those little guys look great, Cindy! About how many germinated from the 40 seeds you planted?
    About 15 has germinated, but only 7 are alive. I kept on the drier side - they dried up. I kept them on the wetter side - they rotted. Arrrrrgggggg....
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Allan View Post
    Hi Cindy,

I forgot to tell you in the email- I strongly suspect that b aquatica benefit greAtly from being fed. Try feeding them small flies (aphids are ideal) or tiny drops of milk.

Cheers,

Greg
    Thanks! I'll feed them bloodworms 'cos I am going to feed my Pings that as well.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally, after four painful months of hoping...the ONLY B. aquatica plant is flowering! None of the other seedlings survived, despite being fed with blood worms. In fact, I think they might have died faster because of my overly humid condition (stale air vs B. aquatica growing in wet conditions in the wild).

The photos were taken with the Olympus TG-3. The camera is supposed to be very good at macro shots/microscope shots but I am not getting what I used to get with the Sony Cybershot (the supermacro models are no longer in production, sigh). My dad says it's the setting but the camera is too smart I think. Flat stuff like text on dollar notes are fine but with really small plants...the end product is not sharp at all. If anyone else on TF uses this model, please enlighten me.

Pics taken with Focus stacking mode - same shot but differing degrees of depth of field are merged for the 2nd

Last edited by Cindy; 10-11-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That flower has set seeds. I soaked half of them in GA3 solution and almost all of these sprouted. After 2 weeks, none of the un-treated ones germinated so I soaked them in GA3 as well. Then I forgot about them and they germinated in the solution.

I am trying to see if the seedlings survive better this season with wet and cooler weather. As you can see, this species gave me only one plant since April this year after sowing at least 50 seeds. :
    Cindy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast