What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The-'Fastest'-SUNDEW ON-Earth ... Will-'Always'-Be AUSTRALIAN so-to-Speak!!! >(*U^)<

RichBBWDavion

RichardBBWDavion
The-'Fastest'-SUNDEW ON-Earth ... Will-'Always'-Be AUSTRALIAN so-to-Speak!!! >(*U^)<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4boB__2KOaY&feature=plcp

Managed To-LEARN How to UPLOAD 'Better'-Quality-Images-&-FOOTAGE To-YOUTUBE IN-Preparation For-My SPEECH-to-Her-MAEJESTY NEXT-Week:

"I"m-Hoping ZIGGI Will Turn-UP To The-[2012]-EEE With-R Cut-Down-Version of The NEW-Glid-FOOTAGE &-Information so-to-Speak: ... THART-Would-be The-MOST-Honourable-Thing To-'Do' If-He TRULY-Has-Your Best-INT'RESTs &-The-World-of-CARNIVOROUS-Plants @-Heart Methinkst so-to-Speak ... Rather-than Seemingly Wanting-To-'MILK' The-Latest-Research Over-The-NEXT Ten-Years &-Countless BLU-Ray-Installments @-The-University's-Expense Methinkst so-to-Speak.

ANYWAY "I've-Given-Him R-'Test'-of-SOLOMON:

"I"m-Quite-Happy To-WAIT Until-CHRISTMAS This-Year If-He-is-Willing to-Show R-Sign-of-GOOD-Faith By Placing My TWO-SEMINAL-Articles He's Now 'Had' IN-His-Possession For-The Past SEVEN-Years ON-His ARTICLES-&-REPORTS Page. 2-out-of-~50-Articles Cannot-be-Seen as-R-Perversion or Corruption of THIS-Page Methinskt so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)<

The-'Idea'-Behind My-Posting-THESE To-Him Was THART-He Would IN-Some-Way Film-THESE For UPCOMING-DVD's ... But DVD's Have-Definitely Been FORTHCOMING But-Nothing-of My SEMINAL-Articles Has-Been-'Shown' so-to-Speak.

"I"-'Fear' It's-Become R-CLASSIC-Case-of Scientific-CODEPENDENCE so-to-Speak:

ZIGGI-'Fearing' Showing My-SEMINAl-Articles Redistributes The-Authorship of The Discovery-of-RIBBON-Tentacles IN-R-Parellel If-'Not' Collolary of 'Not'-Wanting-to-Hurt-The-AMERICAN's-Feeling by-Saying The-Venus-Flytrap-&-Our MOST-Common Southern-Sundew R-'Equally'-Matched-Opponents so-to-Speak ... When-Clearly Our's Is Working Much-'Harder'!!! >(*~*)< Memories-of The-AMERICA's-Cup-[1983] Methinkst so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< SORRY-Fellahs ... It's Already 2-to-4-Times-'Faster' [80msecs "QUOTE"] &-Does MORE-Things so-to-Speak.

'Apparently' The-'STORY' "I"ve-Been Drip-Fed Is-THART The-THREE-'Teaser'-or-Seeder Discs THART Went-OUT 5.5 Months-R-GO Seeking PUBLISHERS Have-'Apparently' Fallen-ON Fallow-Ground &-as-R-Consequence Ziggi-Feels He-Can't Release-The-BLU-Ray Until An-Article Is-Publish ... 'Not'-Realising THART-Scientists / 'True'-Scientist R-Much-More HONOURABLE Than-THART so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

ANYWAY If-The-Above-STORY is-'True' ... Then Sending FOOTAGE To-Her-Maejesty Will-ONLY 'Hasten' Publication &-R Positive END-Result Anyway ...

Afteral She-'Hold's ~700-Hundred of LEONARDOs Drawings ... if-Anyone's Going-to Sit-UP &-Take-NOTICE of-What's Been-Discovered ... It-Will-Be-Her / She ... &-"I"-IN-Magine She'll Promptly Invite James-CAMERON Over-to-Her-Place For-R-Viewing ON-Her MASSIVE WONDERWALL She-NO-Doubt Has-@-The-Palace Methinskt so-to-Speak ... cos-He'll-Certainly-be AMAZED to-SEE 'Just'-What Our Australian-Sundew Can-'Do' THART Dioanea-&-Aldrovanda CANNOT so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

ANYWAY Let-RIGHT-Be-Done as-Well-as 'Seen'-to-Be-DONE 'Finally' so-to-Speak ... Afteral It's-Been Nearly 40-Years ... We-'Should'-Have Been Discussing ALL-of-THIS In-The Early 1980s Methinkst so-to-Speak!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

Hey ... "I"-Can't-be 'Held'-Responsible For The-LAUREl-&-HARDY of BOTANY Turning-UP @-My-PARENT's-House IN-[1975] ... Seemingly-Unable to Comprehend-THART The-MOST-Common-Sundew IN-Southern-Australia Could-Also-Be the-'Fastest'-On-Earth so-to-Speak ... it-Was 'Just'-The-'First' Sundew "I'Stumbled-ACROSS As-"I"-'Ran'-From-The-Car ON-My First-Visit to CANNINGTON-Swamp IN-[1974] so-to-Speak.

Of-Course There-R NO-Aboriginal-Dreamtime-Stories Handed-Down Over The-Past 80,000-Years of Occupation ... It-Normally Moves "Fastest'-Than-The-Eye-Can-SEE" ...Which Was My Original-Claim THART Somehow 'Got'-Those TWo-Scientists to-My-Parent's-place About-R-Year Later After Filtering-through My School-System.

You-Don't 'Really' Want-Me to Tell-You Who 'One'-of-Those TWO-Scientist Was: ... "I"m-Sure There's-R Amicable-Way of Smoothing THIS-Apparent-Ruccus-IN-Waiting Over so-to-Speak ... Afteral ... "I"-'Quite'-Like The-CHAP as-R-Person ... &-Have Always Wanted to-Work For-Him so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

Perhaps-"I"ll Give-Him An-EARLY-Christmas-Present THIS-Year as-R-Sign-of-GOOD-Faith so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

R-Present From The Australian-BUSH Engifted-To-Me During The-Second-HALF of Mine-CHILDHOOD so-to-Speak!!! >(*U^)<

R-GIFT-In-WAITING!!! >(*U^)<

In other words...your saying that your mad at some guys for saying that the vft is the fastest cp in the world, when really D. glanduligera is???

In other words...your saying that your mad at some guys for saying that the vft is the fastest cp in the world, when really D. glanduligera is???

Thank you!!! :)

Nothing to be upset about. I'm sure he's just sharing. :)

"I"-'Know' ... If-"I"-Was An-EDITOR ... "I"d-Probably 'Drop'-My-Doughnut / 'Spill'-My-COFFEE &-FRY-My-Computer so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

YES ... The-FOOTAGE Is-THART-Good!!! >(*~*)<

SORRY ... If-"I"-'Were' An-EDITOR!!! >(*U^)<

'Not'-Quite' ... "I"m Saying Call-R-SPADE-R-SPADE &-R SHOVEL-R-SHOVEL!!! >(*~*)<

Our-SUNDEW is-'Faster' ... MUCH-'Faster' ... &-Does MORE-Things!!! >(*U^)<

Someone 'Tried' to STEAL-My-Identity IN-The-Late 90s ... Typing Like-THIS Began As-R-Way to Root-OUT This-******* ... Keep-UP!!! >(*U^)<

'Not'-Quite' ... "I"m Saying Call-R-SPADE-R-SPADE &-R SHOVEL-R-SHOVEL!!! >(*~*)<

Our-SUNDEW is-'Faster' ... MUCH-'Faster' ... &-Does MORE-Things!!! >(*U^)<

Thats cool! But whos arguing?? Are you mad at us as a country because some people still think that vft is faster....or just those few ppl???

Richard, I've seen the correspondence between you and Ziggy and it seems like it may be something best kept out of the public forum. He didn't seem too thrilled in the email you posted on Facebook. Very interesting video, nonetheless.

Nice video!! I bet that writing must really piss off the editors that correct things like eddie to "edwardsiana" LOL. It seems like those CPUKers don't really like you with all the dislikes you've gotten. Meh, ya gotta do what ya gotta do eh? I like it, although most people on here probably won't which is why they haven't commented (probably lurkin waiting for a fight). Anyways, that sundew seems very interesting! I'd love to get my hands on some seeds ;).

It's not that difficult to understand actually, it does make sense if you read it. It's just a different style. I don't understand why some people are so against it...
Anyway, interesting video.

There are 131 packets in the ICPS seedbank as of a few minutes ago. Membership has its privleges.

Richard,

We spoke a while back on FTC forums regarding this piece of research. I very much look forward to its publication, and hope Ziggi and you resolve your issues.

Godspeed mate!

Wow this is huge!! After looking at the pictures of these specimens in your backyard bog it seems they suck the fly into that middle pit after snapping shut? I can't wait for the seeds to arrive, Im assuming they will grow in Nepenthes highland conditions? Will they grow a few years if left in these conditions as burmanii will live on with out it's flower stalks? A video of this sundew eating a fly would be great for the documentation of this species and for the understanding of the lurkers on here wondering what all this means! We've got a real genetic miracle here people!

Cultivation is difficult lance. All my seeds have failed to germinate, but I sent some to another hobbyist who got two weak seedlings... I think LL conditions are better, and yes, they are annuals.

After seeing what ziggy had to say about the germination of the seeds, it appears that the seeds must be sown on 50/50 peat sand mix and left outside about this time in the full sun and heat (June-August). Then, when they detect the change in the temps they will start germinating. It seems like they should be left in highland conditions to grow and flower since the winter time where they originate from is cold and rainy, with temperatures never going above 80*F. The only records of frost appear to be in the mountains and snow on mount lofty. Frost would be a big danger to them here. They also should be fed often or they will perish, probably because of the massive amounts of energy it takes to fling a fly in to the middle of the capture pit. I've talked to some other people in Australia who say frost is very rare which means the VFTs go into a semi-dormancy while still producing traps.

LANCE: ... You're-ON-The-Right-Track ... But-It's 'Better'-Than-THART!!! >(*U^)<

As-to-ZIGGI: ... My-'First'-Request Was-For Some GRAPHICAL-Form of PUBLICATION-Date IE It's-Going-to-Be Published IN-'This'-Journal / IN-'This'-Country / ON-THIS-Date so-to-Speak ... "I"m-R-VISUAL-Person ... 'Apparently' With The-KEENEST GREEN-Eyes With AMBER-Speccles THIS-Country Has-Seen IN-80,000-Years so-to-Speak .... R-JPEG Would-Have Been 'Satisfying' To-Me.

We-Were 'Talking' N-&-S Almost 6-Months-R-GO ... 'Apparently'-NOW It's-Been Assigned to-Some Mickey-Mouse Publication!!!??? >(*~*)<

So Is-it ALL-'Talk' ... or Have-The-Publishers 'Sussed' Ziggi-OUT???

Did-They-ASK to 'See' The-Original Now-You See-it / Now-You-Don't ARTICLE???

Anyone @-PIXAR 'Knows'-WHY The-Article Was Entitled THART-Way ... Any-NERD On-The-Planet 'Would' ... Even Kurt-RUSSELL as-Well-as The-'Connection' With-EDISON so-to-Speak!!!

Even Stan-LEE Must-Be CHUFFED "I"-Was Wearing One-of-The-TWO-T-Shirts He-Sent Dunn-Oondar ON-The-VERY-Day-of-DISCOVERY so-to-Speak ... Afteral His MOST-Famous Comic-Book-Character Is-Based-On Our Mecedes-Insignis so-to-Speak!!! >(*U^)<

http://www.ozanimals.com/image/albums/australia/Spider/Male-red-headed-mouse-spider.jpg

Were-They R-Little 'Suspicious' of ALL The 'First'-THIS / 'First'-THART Littering The-HARTMEYER-Articles so-to-Speak.

AFTERAL The-Discoverer-of-The-LOTUS-Effect Was 'Humble'-enough to-Say-Nothing Regarding Having Been The-'First' To-Obtain-R Scanning-Electron-Micrograph of The 'Seemingly'-UNIQUE Trigger-Mechanism ... &-Afteral 'Once' You-Have-R-TRIGGR-Mechanism &-Action-@-R-DISTANCE @-Speeds Heading-Down Towards 10msecs ... You're 'Not' Talking so-Called Action-Potentials Anymore so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

Perhaps ONLY-Now REALITY Is-Sinking-IN As-to What The-Future-Holds &-It's Driving-Him R-Little-CRAZY so-to-Speak ... "I"-Can 'Understand'-THART ... But-Then-R-Gen "I've-Always Been-'Willing'-To-SHARE Because

My-Cup Has 'Always' Runneth-OVER so-to-Speak!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)< Ha-Har

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z77jWKHB0GM&feature=plcp

Afteral You-Don't Notice-R NEW-Phenomenon With PERMANENT-Magnets ... Something Every-Child Has-Handled @-Primary-School &-@-Home ON-The-Fridge ... Unless-You 'Still'-Retain R-Little-of THART Astounding Astuteness THART Marked-You-OUT as-R-Child &-Placed-You Somewhere Towards The-Outer-Limits of The Bell-Shaped-Curve so-to-Speak!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

Has anyone had any success with the seeds? This species hasn't taken off like I thought it would.

Nobody said this was an easy species to cultivate. See the requirements in this video

A new active trapping mechanism for carnivorous plants has been described - catapult flypaper traps (see above video) and the associated journal paper in PLOS One:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0045735

Congratulations to Siegfriend & Irmgard Hartmeyer, The Plant Biomechanics Group, University of Freiburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany and especially Richard Davion (acknowledgement and literature citations) for their contributions on the investigation and description of this mechanism.

Just some numbers from the above paper (and video):

"The duration of the smooth motion in some tentacles can be as fast as 75 ms (Video S4), with a maximum tentacle head velocity of 0.17 ms−1 and a maximum acceleration of 7.98 ms−2 (Fig. 3 and S1)."

Last edited:
This video was great. Thanks for sharing this.

This plant is intriguing on so many levels. The "Diva"!

Thank you Richard for sharing this with the world.

Back