Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Byblis photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giant Byblis photos

I am very pleased with the way in which my Byblis are turning out this year, despite the British summer (which is notoriously poor even in a normal year) being the wettest on record so far. Here are a load of photos of my biggest forms. I have posted the odd one of these on other forums, but most of them are new.

Byblis guehoi- all of the photos with flowers are of a single plant. The photo showing two young plants illustrates the manner in which this species can (but does not always in my experimental conditions) branch at an early stage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Byblis gigantea- most of these photos were taken when the illusive sun finally vanquished the clouds for a brief period in the late afternoon, making the Byblis positively glow. The photo of the leaf with prey clearly shows the fly enveloped in secretions. When B gigantea catches insects which adhere to the glands in such a manner that they touch the epidermis, fluid is rapidly secreted. A few days later, the prey is stuck fast to the leaf. The bodies of small flies seem to be completely annihilated. Prey which does not settle on the leaf surface is presumably not digested at all.

Last edited by Greg Allan; 07-18-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some of the most healthy Byblis I have ever seen in cultivation! Amazing plants. I did not have much sucess with B. liniflora. . . Lots of seeds germinated and looked healthy for a while, but then they all slowly died away. Haha.

Would you mind sharing how you germinate/grow them?

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, those are amazing
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Byblis filifolia- all of these are photos of giant plants raised from seeds from the Pago region of northern Western Australia. They differ from B guehoi and several other forms of B filifolia in that, inter alia, the pedicels are consistently shorter than the leaves. They are also very large and sturdy plants that have still not yet reached their full potential this year, judging by the new branches which keep appearing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really jealous. Tried growing two different types of Byblis, and they never make it past an inch tall, for some reason. What conditions do you grow them in?
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my god!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow!!

seriously Greg Allan can you keep me in mind when you have some seeds i will be willing to pay postage or a trade

I LOVE YOUR BYBLIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast