What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help me identify these 2 capensis pls

Both of there are said to be capensis typical but apparently one of these has to be a different type of capensis as these 2 capensis are quite different from color, size even down to the way the leaves unfurl is different.

thx for the help.

102_0034.jpg

Looks like wide-leaf on the left and typical on the right.

But they could both be typical and the differences are due to changes in how they were both grown.

i agree with the above. my broadleaf is more dense and compact like the one in back

hey thanx. these are my best specimens who will be used for leaf cuttings only...no flowering allowed(poor plants). Also beginning to separate temperate from year round dews.

i dont let any of my sundews flower wither lol. i have no need for seed, just want as many leaves as possible

I'm realizing now that seed is valuable.

You see those sundews in supermarkets that are all gangly looking and sick? well people buy those.

I just sold a couple hundred capensis seedlings at a local festival, made a good penny doing so.

I just sold a couple hundred capensis seedlings at a local festival, made a good penny doing so.

Seriously? That's awesome! I've been wanting to do something like that. How much could you sell them for?

Probably 5-10 if they are potted which they would be in person...

If you have them dewy and good looking they would sell

Well I had pots of like 20-30 seedlings that I was too lazy to separate out and I sold each pot for 20 dollars.

I'm definitely doing this. I have like 100 rotundifolia seedlings. I just need to find a fair.

according to the savage garden there are 4 forms of capensis... Broadleaf (typical), narrow leaf, alba, and red, so saying that one is typical and one is broadleaf means they are the same thing...

i've always called narrow leaf typical.

hmmm, well i was just reading through my copy and saw that and thought I'd chime in. Things could have changed since peter wrote that too

I'm sure there hasn't been a definitive culmination of D. capensis varietal input from the "experts".

But I have always considered "narrow leaf" to be "typical", and broadleaf was a "cultivar" or something to that effect. My reasoning for believing this is that both 'alba' and 'all red' share the narrow leaf of "typical" where as broad leaf appears to have a more unique form compared to the other four.

Furthermore there is a "giant" form, a "long petiole" form, a "hairy" form, and the ubiquitous "Baine's Kloof" which of course is not to be considered a definitive term for any one specific plant seeing as it's only a location. photo finder also shows a "plante poilue" form and a "dwarf plant" form.

I'm sure by now there have been many more interesting varieties created from this highly prolific and easy to germinate species.

interesting, thats good to know. Pretty sure all of my hundreds of capensis are broadleaf then.

I would have to say neither broadleaf nor narrow leaf could truly be considered the typical form. I have seen pics of both, and when compared to my plants (when healthy), they are both very diffeent. The typcial is closer to a midway between broad and narrow.

Are these the ones I just sent you? If so, I had big clumps of capes I separated out and some were squished in between others and that is the reason some have long leaves and some are short and stumpy as some got lots of light and some were blocked from light and no room to grow. I suspect with new growth they will look the same. To my knowledge, these are all typicals and I have never had the wide leaf variety that I know of. Having said that though, they do look different, haha.

There is a picture of some of my cape clumps in my pic thread to give you and idea of where they came from.

Are these the ones I just sent you? If so, I had big clumps of capes I separated out and some were squished in between others and that is the reason some have long leaves and some are short and stumpy, as well as color variation, as some got lots of light and some were blocked from light and no room to grow. I suspect with new growth they will look the same. To my knowledge, these are all typicals as I have never had the wide leaf variety that I know of. Having said that though, they do look different, haha.

There is a picture of some of my cape clumps in my pic thread to give you and idea of where they came from.

Back