What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

d. capensis giant

uphwiz

jimmy
:-D
its starting to get used to its new home. the bloom spike is about 18 to 20 tall wowee:-O, i havent grown a giant form before.
will the seeds produce the same giant form?
:blush:.
IMG_6251.jpg
IMG_6263.jpg
it has a pup, it started on its own leaf got stuck in the side of the pot.:-D
IMG_6259.jpg
IMG_6265.jpg
IMG_6260.jpg
IMG_6266.jpg

Another fantastic plant. That thing is massive! I don't see why it wouldn't create more giants if selfed.

Pretty impressive plant Jimmy.
Not sure if the seeds are viable or not, but if so would produce the same giant genes. Where'd you get this one if you don't mind me asking? I've got a couple different sources that I'm currently growing. Haven't let them flower at all though.

Where'd you get this one if you don't mind me asking? I've got a couple different sources that I'm currently growing. Haven't let them flower at all though.

its from you , we traded something , Right dont remember what:blush:

hmm maybe not cant remember what did we trade, was it a fly trap ??
the cap is from some one here i did several trades over the past few months cant remember for sure

OOooooh yeah. I remember now.. We DID trade not too long ago.
Nice work man. Plant looks great!

oooh. nice picture. ive never seen the giant form before.

Is there much difference between the capensis giant and regular capensis broad leaf? The broad leaf that I have currently is about 8 in in diameter and is pretty tall...which I believe is about normal for mature capes. One thing I did notic was a shorter flowerstalk, but thats about it. Care to enlighten?

Beautiful Plant!
-S21

Is there much difference between the capensis giant and regular capensis broad leaf? The broad leaf that I have currently is about 8 in in diameter and is pretty tall...which I believe is about normal for mature capes. One thing I did notic was a shorter flowerstalk, but thats about it. Care to enlighten?

Beautiful Plant!
-S21

not sure id like to try a broad leaf , do you have one to trade?
i think taey all have very tall bloom spikes though , is your bloom spike just starting ? ( pic please )

I've got a bunch of broadleaf capes available for trade.

Don't necessarilly count on the seeds all being "giant" as well. Any basic genetics course will tell you this:Even when a plant is self fertilized, genetic recombination occurs (as well as possible mutation). Depending on the traits of the "giant gene", this may leave you with all "normal" plants, a mixure of normal and giant, or all giant.

The point is, without studying the heredity of the gene responsible you just don't know (unless someone has shown it to pass on to the offspring with high fidelity, and even then I wouldn't count on it 100% due to all the genetic craziness that happens in the process sexual reproduction)... If you ever give away the seed, labling it as "seed from capensis giant form" will suffice. Just remember, SELF FERTILIZED PLANTS ARE NOT CLONES!

I seem to be good at ending all interest in discussion...........Wowza's! :puke:

Last edited:
Back