Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Germinating Drosera regia, mark II: "The reckoning"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about temperature? Should seeds be kept warm like most subtropicals or cool like the mature plants like?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had a D. regia seeds sprout, and so far it is growing well in about 60% humidity and the light given off by a 40 watt-output fluorescent, in temps that vary from 65-90 degrees fahrenheit. It would probalby do best in a range of 60-75 Fahrenheit.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I planted my seeds on straight vermiculite, well doused with an anti fungal, at about 90% humidity. Temps were 75f to 85f daytime, 50f to 60f nighttime. I would recommend transplanting fairly quickly (I didn't), as vermiculite seems to be a very poor D. regia media. I prefer a media mix of 50/50 perlite/dead sphag and I like to fertilize weekly with the standard half strength orchid fertilizer.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, got in on that ICPS Seedbank sale. My best results were with grated lfs over regular lfs. This worked best for me probably as fungus was a major killer of seedlings and the grated lfs provided significant protection once I started using it. It's worth mentioning that I had poor circulation in the terrarium I was germinating them in and fungus was a problem anyway.

I wish you success!
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had about %100 germination on my batch and didn't lose a single one to fungus. A wide tray of lfs + perlite (kept very wet with water almost reaching the top) under a very bright light (the usual 6500 K daylight bulb) and watered with daisy tea. Sorry I don't remember the english name for it...You know, the herbal tea with dried daisy flowers. I always use it for my seeds and I've never had a fungus problem.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chamomile, maybe? Whatever, that is interesting.
    - Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12