Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sundew leaves bending? Help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants will change their growth form in different conditions, so it's not unusual for the plant to look a little different after a little time in your care . I totally understand new grower's jitters, but I wouldn't be too concerned. I think the plant still looks healthy overall.

Having said that, here's a little more advice: I'm in dry Utah and do nothing to boost humidity, and my plants do fine (average 35-40% humidity indoors) and produce plenty of dew. As mass said though, if it's not getting enough light then it won't produce as much dew. They need light to produce dew. Just because it has red tentacles doesn't necessarily mean its getting quite as much light as it would like. Rather than focussing on boosting humidity, I personally would try to boost their light. You'll get a much healthier and robust plant by doing this compared to just increasing humidity. The bent leaf CAN be a symptom of not having enough light, as the leaves grow thinner and weaker in lower light situations, so the tip will naturally bend. If you CAN'T increase the light, for whatever reason, then by all means try to increase the humidity to maintain what little dew it can make.

And yes, a temperature drop at night is very helpful for cape sundew as well.

Lastly, I wouldn't let the soil dry out. Keep the plant in a shallow tray of water. No need to let the tray dry out before watering again, but just don't keep it totally waterlogged all the time.

Drosera capensis
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never even thought of that. Could be too much heat from the lights. They're pretty close now. 1-2 inches. I'll definitely try moving the lights farther away
    So humidity plus less light heat should do the trick. Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and im almost 100% positive its getting enough light. My other dews are making copious amounts of dew, getting blood red(granted theyre the res form), and theyre farther away from the lights than the capes. Anyways thanks for the advice. Ill try it all out and see what works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if it's that close to the lights, they're probably getting enough light Moving them a couple inches further could do the trick. I Personally wouldn't worry about the humidity though.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, i never even thought of the lights. Turns out they were nearly touching the tips of the leaves :0 oops. Amateur mistake.
    Fixed em now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123