What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris Group Drosera Propagation

It seems the less fuzzy species (D. paradoxa, D. falconeri) seem to propagate fairly easily as leaf pullings floating in water and kept in my case relatively warm. Also clumps of leaves from D. paradoxa seem to produce more plantets and appear to have a greater percentage of being successful. However, the more fuzzy species (D. lanata) do not seem to be as easy in terms of leaf pullings. So far the only way I was able to get them to propagate was to wait for the plants to divide naturally and then remove and transplant the offshoots. Most discussions suggested that leaf pullings were not that successful and taking clumps of leaves difficult to remove intact. I had read accounts of other species being propagated by taking a sharp knife or razor blade and carefully slicing the plant into multiple sections and that increased success could be found by having the sections contain a portion of the plants root system. So, I had a plant that had naturally divided . I split it up and one plant was quartered with a sharp knife. These quartered sections were planted back into a quick draining petiolars group compatible mixed, as if they were individual plants, and held in standard petiolars sundew growing conditions. The second plant was replanted after harvesting some leaf pullings. It was difficult to get get them to come free in clumps. Got one clump and a few lose leaves.

Results:
the clump of leaves attached together is developing plantlets. As are a very few of the lose leaves. It seem that the lose leaves developing plantlets do have a fairly large part of the stem attached.

DSC_00090005_1.jpg

The plant that was quartered appears to be developing multiple plantlets per quarter.

DSC_00070004_7.jpg

DSC_00050003_12.jpg

Might be too early to say for certain but it looks like quartering the plant and replanting it is going to be fairly productive. maybe 2-3 plantlets per section.

Last edited:
very useful stuff kula! i will have to try this in the future, maybe when i have spare plants lying around....

I'll have to try this when my D. fulva begins to divide.

People have been asking me about my propagation set up. I use a bank of five 10 gallon tanks. Lit by a 4 bulb T5 High Bay light fixture. Lights are just sitting onto of the glass cover.

DSC_00050003_13.jpg

DSC_00060004_8.jpg

Update on the D. lanata clump pullings floating in water.

DSC_00010001_74.jpg

DSC_00040002_13.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_00010001_74.jpg

can see from the plantlets developing here on a single leaf pulling (about 7 o clock) that it is possible to get this to work with D. lanata. But in comparison with the clump, the plantlets are much larger and they are more of them so right now would say that clumps are a better way, but if some stray leaves come free when you make the clumps nothing lost by floating them also.

Last edited:
Nice, I must try that with them when I get some!:-D

Update :

Quartered plants and each section having a bit of roots look like making 7-8 plants
DSC_00050003_14.jpg

DSC_00060004_9.jpg

just division and popping off an off shot would get me safely one new plant. So I guess this works for long term. small plants

The ones I floated in water look to be ready to be transplanted soon. just the plantlets are really small
DSC_00070005_7.jpg

DSC_00090006_2.jpg

Last edited:
Very useful info, Kula. Thanks for doing the legwork and documentation. I'm sure it will come in handy for me. Just the same it gives me pause to consider hacking my beloved D. falconeri into quarters, ha!

Update:
DSC_0003_191.jpg

The plants that i quartered and kept part of the root system have done fairly well. lost one quarter.

Do I understand correctly that these 3 plants were each a quarter of the parent plant when it was divided?

Do I understand correctly that these 3 plants were each a quarter of the parent plant when it was divided?

Each of the three clumps was a quarter of the plant taken by slicing parent plant to get each section with roots. Each clump seems to have 2-3 plants

They started out looking like:

DSC_00050003_12.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. When I go back and click for the full-sized photo and look closely I now see the multiple plants on each.

awesome. its like you have a fish stores worth of tanks, but with beautiful plants inside. keep up the experiments, we all learn from them

awesome progress Kula! those looks so awesome! cant wait till they get their true colors!

on another note, i thought it might be worthwhile to mention which petiolaris drosera that naturally divide vs those that may have to utilize this method or be set by seed.

these so far have been known to divide naturally over time: caduca, falconeri, fulva, lanata, dilatatopetiolaris, kenneallyi, paradoxa, ordensis
these have not been reported to divide: derbyensis, broomensis, darwinensis
unknown: brevicornis, petiolaris

has anybody else had similar experiences with their own plants as well?

Last edited:
I have had D. paradoxa 'clump'.

I have had D. paradoxa 'clump'.

that's interesting. kula also shared with me that his paradoxa multiplied when the main plant was dying. is this similar to what happened to you? i dont know if that could be considered as naturally dividing over time.

I, too, have had D. paradoxa divide into multiple plants as in 6 or 7 new growing centers.

these so far have been known to divide naturally over time: caduca, falconeri, fulva, lanata, dilatatopetiolaris, kenneallyi, paradoxa
these do not divide: derbyensis, broomensis, ordensis, darwinensis
unknown: brevicornis, petiolaris

has anybody else had similar experiences with their own plants as well?

I have had D. ordensis divide naturally for me. This is the long-leaved form that I grow.

Back