Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petiolaris Group Drosera Propagation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petiolaris Group Drosera Propagation

It seems the less fuzzy species (D. paradoxa, D. falconeri) seem to propagate fairly easily as leaf pullings floating in water and kept in my case relatively warm. Also clumps of leaves from D. paradoxa seem to produce more plantets and appear to have a greater percentage of being successful. However, the more fuzzy species (D. lanata) do not seem to be as easy in terms of leaf pullings. So far the only way I was able to get them to propagate was to wait for the plants to divide naturally and then remove and transplant the offshoots. Most discussions suggested that leaf pullings were not that successful and taking clumps of leaves difficult to remove intact. I had read accounts of other species being propagated by taking a sharp knife or razor blade and carefully slicing the plant into multiple sections and that increased success could be found by having the sections contain a portion of the plants root system. So, I had a plant that had naturally divided . I split it up and one plant was quartered with a sharp knife. These quartered sections were planted back into a quick draining petiolars group compatible mixed, as if they were individual plants, and held in standard petiolars sundew growing conditions. The second plant was replanted after harvesting some leaf pullings. It was difficult to get get them to come free in clumps. Got one clump and a few lose leaves.

Results:
    the clump of leaves attached together is developing plantlets. As are a very few of the lose leaves. It seem that the lose leaves developing plantlets do have a fairly large part of the stem attached.

The plant that was quartered appears to be developing multiple plantlets per quarter.

Might be too early to say for certain but it looks like quartering the plant and replanting it is going to be fairly productive. maybe 2-3 plantlets per section.
    Last edited by kulamauiman; 02-06-2013 at 12:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very useful stuff kula! i will have to try this in the future, maybe when i have spare plants lying around....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to try this when my D. fulva begins to divide.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have been asking me about my propagation set up. I use a bank of five 10 gallon tanks. Lit by a 4 bulb T5 High Bay light fixture. Lights are just sitting onto of the glass cover.

Update on the D. lanata clump pullings floating in water.

Last edited by kulamauiman; 02-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can see from the plantlets developing here on a single leaf pulling (about 7 o clock) that it is possible to get this to work with D. lanata. But in comparison with the clump, the plantlets are much larger and they are more of them so right now would say that clumps are a better way, but if some stray leaves come free when you make the clumps nothing lost by floating them also.
    Last edited by kulamauiman; 02-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, I must try that with them when I get some!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update :

Quartered plants and each section having a bit of roots look like making 7-8 plants

just division and popping off an off shot would get me safely one new plant. So I guess this works for long term. small plants

The ones I floated in water look to be ready to be transplanted soon. just the plantlets are really small

Last edited by kulamauiman; 02-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cp777 View Post
    Nice, I must try that with them when I get some!
    Ditto

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast