Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibernating D. Binata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hibernating D. Binata

I live in Nebraska where the winters are horrendous and no carnivorous plant would survive. We're talking deep freeze for weeks.

I've been raising VFTs and Sarracenia for a couple years now and the hibernation method I use for them has been successful: starting around late October I place them into a refrigerator that I has a couple suspended grow lights inside (I have a fridge dedicated to them). I watch for fungus, etc. with reduced watering and humidity. I let them sleep for a couple months and then when temperatures are above freezing outside here, I set them back outside again. They've seemed to enjoy it, and I've had some ravenous plants come back in the spring.

The problem is this is the first year I've started raising a lot of sundews, and they're doing amazing. The binata that I have are animals and have quickly become my favorite Sundew species. I know they need hibernation, but I'm worried the methods that work for the North American guys might not work so well here. I have really got a lot of joy from these (not-so) little guys and really want to treat them well this winter.

May I have some advice on how to best hibernate them? Do they just need a cool window sill with regular watering? Would the refrigerator method be overkill for them (or kill them?).

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually the binata complex does not require a dormancy, but will go into dormancy if the conditions are cold enough. in fact, one species: multifida extrema does not go dormant at all and will die down to the roots if exposed to cold conditions. growing them indoors with adequate light will allow them to persist without any problems
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sunny window sill will work just fine for them. They may go dormant anyway on the window sill with shorter photoperiod and cooler temps, but will sprout again in the spring. If you can put them under lights on a 12-plus-hour cycle, they should stay growing all winter. As amphirion said, they do not require a dormancy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon is right, the binata complex plants do not require dormancy however I keep some mine outside year round in USDA zone 5. I live in Boston where it is frozen solid from November to March. I grow both D. b.binata and D.b.dichotoma 'Giant' in my outside bog garden with absolutely no protection. Both of these species can survive winters as harsh as USDA zone 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! What an incredibly healthy newsgroup! Thanks guys.

I actually have multifida extrema (it's turning into a bush) and knew enough not to think about hibernating him. So I guess I won't worry about placing the rest of my binata into the refrigerator then; this winter I'll just drop the photoperiod on the terrarium they're in - that should be enough from the sounds of it, right? (I have my Droseras in a 40 gallon long tank, raised to about 4-5 inches from four T-8 lights).

Cthulhu138, your situation intrigues me. I have never had any luck keeping any carnivore outside - they've always died on me. What sort of prep work do you do to your bog garden to prevent freezing? Last winter we had -5 F nights for almost two weeks in a row - I'm amazed you could keep carnivores alive in that...(I'm absolutely not doubting you, I just have had bad experiences personally)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same insanely cold winters with temps below 0 degrees. I don't do anything to protect the bogs except shovel the snow from the steps and sidewalk over the 2 in the front of the house.

Here's what it looked like in March after all the snow melted :
    March 2012

And, in May :
    Photobucket

And June:
    June 14th 2012
    Photobucket

Here's dichotoma out there:
    Drosera binata dichotoma 'Giant'
    Drosera binata dichotoma 'Giant'
    Drosera binata dichotoma - Giant

I'll have to take some late autumn and winter pics this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...well, I'm darned impressed! I'm going to have to start trying this out then.

My collection is starting to grow quite rapidly due to seed and other means of propagation, so I'll have to give this a whirl next year and see what sort of results I get. Eventually I fear it's going to get to the point where I'm not going to be able to house them in terrariums, so being outside will be their only option. I'll start experimenting with a few hardy species (I see you have a sarracenia purpurea in there) and try my luck.

Out of curiosity, how hot does it get there? Like our winters, our summers can be intense - 110 degree days of punishing sunlight aren't uncommon here. The sarrs seem to just shrug off those days so long as there's plenty of water to go around (I have a rain barrel)....I don't have much experience keeping the sundews outside.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our summers are like Brazil, horribly hot and humid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast