What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum problems... what is wrong with it?!

Brie

Sarracenia freak
For the past couple months, my previous healthy 2 yo droso has gone from awesome, to dieing back from a particular spot on the plant.. Totally healthy, dew covered leaves are turning black and dropping, and new leaves are growing in a weird curly, unhealthy looking pattern from the side.. It hasnt been overwatered, it hasnt even been raining here.. Ive sprayed the effected area with sulfur once, had no effect.. Anyone have any idea whats going on? It kills me that this is happening, this plant is my baby. :(

8072549325_9aebdc41a1_b.jpg

8072543092_3756b3831c_b.jpg

8072549013_137f4bc48f_o.jpg

8072541514_6b279d7a1f_o.jpg

8072548593_b2c74acc35_b.jpg

Same plant in August..
7842509564_1dfff05795_o.jpg

7842509860_79f0382f01_o.jpg

It looks like some sort of pathogen, maybe anthracnose ??? Try a copper based fungicide rather than a sulfur based one. I had a bunch of my sarracenia get infected with anthracnose and I tried pretty much everything. The only thing that made a difference is the copper based fungicide.

Ya know.. after sifting through google images of anthracnose infections of various things, I think you have it... The black speckling of on the healthy leaves certain looks like what im seeing in some other infected plants.. Looks like mildew almost.

like this;
0022_3.jpg

anthracnose2-large.jpg

Thanks, I think I do have some copper based antifungal that my mother gave me for something else.. Will give it a try.. hopefully it doesnt kill the droso, but the infection prolly will anyway if I dont treat it..

being in a plant pathology course this semester has its perks. make sure whatever you use doesn't have fertilizers in it apparently copper based fungicides typically have ferts in them. I only had to apply twice before healthy foliage started emerging.

Glad to see that you figured it out!

i totally feel your pain, still literally have nightmares of my droso dying. one gets attached...i hope you solve the problem, best of luck.

Well I went and picked up some Bonide copper spray today, and gave it its first dousing... Here's to hoping it gets over this infection.. *sigh*. :down:

Back