Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera trinervia on Lion's Head - South Africa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera trinervia on Lion's Head - South Africa

Hi,

directly after arriving in Cape Town we wanted to do a short afternoon walk and decided to go to the Signal Hill with the close by Lion's Head.
    Hallo,

There were no clouds at all, so we could enjoy spectacular views down to Cape Town and the Table Mountains. The temperature were around 30C, a really nice day!

You will have to pass some ladders to reach the top.

Besides many interesting plants, you can also find some nice animals there.

At the point that we needed to go back (it was already late afternoon) we found the first carnivorous plants of our tour! It was Drosera trinervia, most likely the most widespread species of the Western Cape:

The way back was a bit adventurous. We had no problem to return from the Lion's Head, but we could not find a good way to walk down from Signal Hill to Sea Point, so we decided to go straight down (which is for sure not the best option for some parts of the Signal Hill). We finally arrived in Sea Point only to find out, that we had no idea where exactly we were, so we asked somebody to call a Taxi for us to get back to our hotel. We arrived there at 19pm. Luckily the lady at the hotel was kind enough to take our rental car, which was arranged for 18pm that day. We were totally tired that evening (a 15hrs flight + 5hrs walk), so we went to eat something and went sleeping soon after.

regards,
    Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures, Christian! Thank you for sharing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes very great. i take it the dry season is about to kick in? awesome that you got to take pics of the plants before they regressed into dormancy.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

thanks for the nice comments! Yes, the dry season is going to start soon in south africa. This will decrease the number of species, that can be found dramaticaly. The trip has actualy been planed to see carnivorous plants, so we choosed the right time. I have lots of plants and locations more to show in the near future

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please do! i look forward to seeing images of D. alba, hilaris, cistiflora, and regia. just to name a few!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I just went on vacation. sucks to be back home already.. Think we need some more pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures. Can't wait till you post more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to see more photos from you.

Off topic question for you. Since you've seen D. cistiflora in situ I figured you'd know. What temperatures does D. cistiflora experience during it's growing season?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast