Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question to those who grow Drosera under lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe fair enough! I shall give that a try
    Should I see improvement quickly? Or are they likely to decline first before re-acclimatizing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really sure. I'd expect a short acclimation period, but I don't think it should take long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I shall try to mimic your conditions and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "While humidity is not as important if there is no air movement, humidity can be very beneficial in higher temperatures, bright sunlight..."

I have my plants in a terrarium and have had issues with fungus, etc. when the humidity levels were high and no air movement. Each person is a bit different due to their particular collection, plants and habits, but when I dropped the humidity, the fungus and whatnot went away. When my humidity was at 80% for a while, I was constantly scraping growth off the moss in the pots. Growing in a terrarium, I think it's definitely possible to have too much humidity due to the fact you don't have as much air movement.

To build atop Sundrew's comments....the evening temperatures of my plants drop into the 70s, but during the day they're at a steady 80-85. Perhaps temperature is more of an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ya! My basement is a solid 68F all the time. So they do have a considerable temperature drop in the evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally - I think that's a big component too. I have them in a sun room that doesn't have central heating, so it tends to get a bit chillier in the evening. I've done this by kind of studying the temperature trends in that room and realizing it's the most variable in the house (giving a good temperature gradient between day and night).

But it's worth noting that I still get periods of time (especially the hamiltonii) where the plants really don't produce great dew. It's cyclical, though. Because in a couple weeks they will go gangbusters.

But they flower constantly, feed constantly, and are constantly creating offshoots. So they seem happy (almost annoyingly so with the Capensis)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it
    I have made adjustments to my conditions to try and replicate what you guys are doing, so fingers crossed, they will start improving soon.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say what your lighting is - type of tubes, color temps, number of tubes.

Coloration of plants is a function of color temperature, UV and intensity. Dew formation is more a function of intensity.

As long as the humidity is >30% most temperate and subtropical Drosera are happy.

You probably need to move them closer to the lights IMHO.

D. hamiltonii and D. slackii spend a good percentage of the time "dewless". They seem to have a very narrow "sweet spot". I wouldn't worry about those two.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast