Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question to those who grow Drosera under lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably really will depend a little on the species as well. As the dew contains products of photosynthesis (resins, carbohydrates, etc, in addition to water), dew production will depend largely at what temperature each species has the highest rate of photosynthesis. More cool tolerant sundews will probably have better dew production in cool or moderate temps, while heat loving sundews will probably produce more dew in a higher temps. Good lighting in any case is obviously essential, and humidity may help, but put them in conditions closest to their natural habitat if you can, and that will probably give you the best results (though it requires a little more research)
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 5x 2ft T5 sunblaster tubes. All 6400K which give 120W and 11,000 lumens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will mirror NaN regarding D. hamiltoni: it isn't a dew producer for me. Occasionally it'll produce, but for the most part it doesn't. I dust food on it periodically and it seems to be growing. I just let it sit. It does it's thing and seems happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to this so not to be trusted but here's my 2 cents: The hamiltonii seems strangely colored almost as if it's getting a little more light than it was used to. My hamiltonii did something very similar earlier this year and I moved it a little further away from the lights and increased the water in the tray a little and it has had great dew ever since.
    Also I was wondering about your soil mix? I made the mistake of using a highly refined sand in my mixes when I started out this year and it nearly wiped out my entire collection! The sand was very well washed before mixing and still for whatever reason I lost roots and whole plants left and right! Thank God for leaf cuttings! The source of my sand I can't confirm other than it is the sand usually used to "top-dress" golf course greens. The Superintendant assured me that the only thing added to this sand was a minimal amount of sphag peat and all that was washed out for sure when I washed it. I have had a hard time getting pH readings with my cheap meter due to the nature of the boggy soil, but I suspect that mineral content and pH must have had something to do with it.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.
    Most of plants were purchased potted, so I would assume the media is good as they have been previously grown in it.
    I have added a top dressing though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine make lots of dew with only 20% humidity, high temperatures of 85F and night time drop down to 60F.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a picture of dew production in my conditions.

as you can see, the plant is making a decent amount of dew in only 20% humidity. Plus with less humidity you dont need to worry much about pests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive also had problems with the lights being too close and they burn off almost all of the dew before they can produce more.

If thats the case you should be able to notice the plant making more dew at night (after the lights are off) than during the day.

Or at least, thats what happened with mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast