What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,

our next stop to look out for carnivorous plants was the Gifberg in the north of Clanwilliam.

IMG_0831.jpg

We drove there from Nieuwoudtville where we were staying during these days. There are some spectacular views from the Van Rhyn's Pass!

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

The first carnivorous plants we found there were the red form of Drosera capensis, growing together with Utricularia bisquamata on wet walls.

IMG_0846-drosera_capensis.jpg

IMG_0850-drosera_capensis.jpg

IMG_0864-drosera_capensis.jpg

IMG_0868-drosera_capensis.jpg

IMG_0886-utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

IMG_0895-drosera_capensis_utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

On the same walls you can also find some Drosera afra (or trinervia??).

IMG_0918-drosera_afra.jpg

IMG_0924-drosera_afra.jpg

We soon reached the top of the Gifberg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

We started looking for Drosera alba immediately. It did not take long until we found the first plants!

IMG_0941-drosera_alba.jpg

IMG_0946-drosera_alba.jpg

IMG_0952-drosera_alba.jpg

Drosera alba is growing in a very thin layer of substrat! In summer this place must be bone dry and very hot. It is really remarkable, that the plants can live and survive in such condition.

The other flora there is as well very interesting. Here are just some random pictures of mostly (to me at least) unknown plants:

IMG_0957-gladiolus_alatus.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

That day we had great luck with the weather! It was for sure one of the best days of our whole tour. The sun was shining, the temperatures were comfortable. Drosera cistiflora also seemed to like this too!

IMG_1031-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1034-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1046-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

IMG_1057-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

As you can see in the last picture, some of the plants have a somehow unusual growth habit. It looks like some of the plants there have divided scapes with leafs after that division. That's something i havn't seen before.

IMG_1041-drosera_cistiflora.jpg

That beetle is one of the pollinators of Drosera cistiflora on Gifberg. The color is different to those we found in the Darling area. To me it looks like as if every location (if they are not too close) has it's own kind of beetles.

In one place we found a large flowered form of Utricularia bisquamata growing together with Drosera alba and Drosera afra.

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1174-drosera_alba.jpg

IMG_1230-drosera_alba.jpg

IMG_1196-utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

IMG_1220-utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

IMG_1222-utricularia_bisquamata.jpg

The roads on top of Gifberg are not all made for normal cars, so we reached the point where we just could not drive further. So we decided to drive back and to try to drive up from the other side of the Gifberg to see how far we can come.

The first part was very step, almost too step for our car. I was glad, that the rental car company did not know what we are doing with the car. Again we reached the top a bit later. The roads from that side are mostly just sand paths. This part of the mountain has lots of acriculture. We found no carnivorous plants there.

We got closer and closer to the place where we have been already earlier that day. It was clear, that we finally will arrive somewhere close where we stoped in the morning.

In the late afternoon we found an especially nice place with Drosera alba. There we also had the chance to see open flowers of some pink flowered plants.

IMG_1268-drosera_alba.jpg

IMG_1255-drosera_alba.jpg

IMG_1246-drosera_alba.jpg

IMG_1259-drosera_alba.jpg

We finally arrived at a place where we had been in the morning, so we actually drove once over the mountain. We only missed the right turn in the morning to find this way.

Christian

Spectacular photos! Thank you for sharing.

Amazing plants and scenery!

Incredible! The Gladiolus is probably my favorite non-CP that you've photographed. Remarkable D. cistiflora photos!

Holy amazing photos... Thank you so much for posting these. I love seeing in situ shots. And the day I obtain D. alba in my collection is the day I will die happy. I love that plant!!

Wow what a trip that must have been! Sounds like a "white knuckle ride" during the latter ascent. So glad you could share with us!

Those D. alba are incredible. I always love the cistiflora pictures too.

Back