Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water PPM max?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water PPM max?

My tap water is around 100PPM here(according to my PPM meter, not the most accurate one I bet), so I have been using it on my drosera and nepenthes for about 8 months. Nepenthes grow like mad, so there isn't a question with them. However, I have noticed recently my drosera are growing slower, the new leafs are blackening, and one of the drosera I recently repotted of the same specie; Drosera Binata is doing great. I'm assuming I am getting nutrient buildup.
    If that's the case can I simply purge the pots with RO water for a couple weeks, or should I repot then use only RO water?

Also from what I've been reading Drosera Indicia needs to be fed, I'm assuming that's why mine are only 5 inches tall and are flowering? They don't get many insects since they are greenhouse kept.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jm,
    Most people would agree that nepenthes definitely handle higher PPM better. As for the ones you are having trouble with...flushing them for a few weeks with distilled should do the trick of getting any buildup out, but after that you'll probably want to continue to use distilled or a mix of distilled and your tap to prevent them from worsening again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's what I've always heard, nepenthes can handle tap, and even fertilizer but won't pitcher.
    Thanks for your input, I'll go about doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, 100ppm is that bad? My water filter is putting out 165ppm right now. Guess I need to get a new membrane sooner than later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My RO unit puts out 9 PPM after the 100 PPM tap, then the DI gets it to 0 for my reef tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. My tap is like 360 by itself. It's only a watermaker mini, so I don't expect miracles (I'm in an apartment building) but with a new membrane it keeps going for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your carbon good?
    Chlorine kills RO membranes, also if you have chloramines you should get a specific filter for it or you will kill your membrane.
    I've made probably 500 gallons(thousands? I don' know as I've left ym RO unit one overnight because I used to always forget) on my current unit, no PPM increase yet since I've replaced my carbon and particulate filters once. ($30 for all of them from bulkreefsupply.com I've spent more then I've wanted to from them)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's a Watermaker Mini, the membrane has the carbon in it, I believe. There's an optional addon for more filtering which I don't have, that also has carbon in it I think.

Most recent gallon of water it spat out is at 115 ppm give or take. Will still need to replace it soonish I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast