User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fertilizing Drosera & Sarracenia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I foliar fed my sundews over the summer and most seemed to like it. The petiolaris complex and cape sundews reacted with the leaf curl as if they had caught prey. I'm still experimenting with it but I was doing it roughly once a week with a dilution of a little less than 1/4 tsp of neptune's fish & seaweed to 25 oz of water and misted the plants moderately.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'Amato recommends no more than twice a month.

I foliar feed my indoor plants including Drosera and sometimes my outdoors ones with a dilute solution of Alaskan Fish Emulsion fertilizer. Been doing so for close to two years now.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Maxsea, D'amato is who I talked to and he typed up the directions for all of the jars he sold and stuck them on the lid with a label. That's what I follow for my Neps, but with Mass sharing his opinion, I think I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter D'Amato knows what he's saying. Period.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Peter D'Amato knows what he's saying. Period.
    I know that.

Just wondering if I should take the risk. If mass's drosera died, I wouldn't want to induce that on mine. Should I start a little at a time foliarly and then change out the water in the bog monthly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also not saying those people don't know what they're talking about. But I think we established a long time ago that what works for some, doesn't work for others.
    If it comes down to fert brand and strength, then so be it.. I've never used Maxsea.
    But what I DO use (OrchidFocus & GrowMore) is most indeed deadly to sundews.
    What I've learned about ferts and dews in my own experience is, better safe than sorry.
    freeze dried blood worms from here on out..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To put it in context, what Travis stated is: "If it comes down to fert brand and strength, then so be it.. I've never used Maxsea." Peter's advice was specifically for that fertilizer, and he speaks from experience. Mass also speaks from experience (I am not suggesting otherwise) but by his own admission, he does not have any experience with that specific product. I would, however, agree with him in stating that most all other fertilizers pose significant risk in terms of damaging Drosera and unless you have advice from someone who has used a specific product on the same species you grow, then it is best to avoid them entirely. Peter offered you specific advice about a specific product and exactly how to apply it. I don't think you should be overly concerned about damaging your plants if you follow his directions to the letter.

All of the commercial growers who have shared information about fertilizers and Drosera have been adamant that the product should not be allowed to go into the soil, but be applied only to foliage as a very dilute mist. I second the suggestion to follow Bob H's recommendations as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I'm terrible at following ingredients, measurements, and instructions.
    I don't make my woman cook. She tasted a few of my meals and volunteered..
    Now just to get her to feed the plants for me and I'll be all set.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast