User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fertilizing Drosera & Sarracenia?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fertilizing Drosera & Sarracenia?

I got some MaxSea fertilizer that I use foliarly on my Nepenthes. It has a ratio on the thing of like 1tbsp per gallon, but I do 3/4tsp per gallon like directed by the nursery owner that uses it on all of their CPs. I want to fertilize my sundews and my sarracenia. I have 15+ of each aliciae and spatulata that are kinda small and I have a couple capensis. Also have 11 seedling sarrs, one massive leucophylla and three medium-small purpurea. I know somebody said that South American dews can't take fertilizer, which species are those? Are any of mine South American?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't speak for the sarrs, but if you let ferts even TOUCH the droseras they'll die. And good luck trying to propagate from the remains, as fert burn will still ravage the propagated plantlets.
    trust me.. I learned the hard way not to mix ferts and sundews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't firtilize my larger sarrs at all, but I regularly use osmocote to fertilize my seedling sarrs to speed them along, and you can spray them with fertilizer too. Your smaller purpurea would probably greatly benefit.

I have been known to use 1/4 strength miracle grow orchid fertilizer to lightly spritz some of my prey-deprived dews on occasion with no negative effect. That was mainly with D. capensis and multifida 'exrema', but my general rule is not to spray them, and I would be very careful if you try it. Maybe only spray on a single plant, or even a single leaf to see how the plants are affected, and be careful not to get it in the soil. Some CP's seem to be very particular about the brand of fertilizer used, so i can't speak for Max Sea.

None of your dews are South American, but you also don't want to fertilize the queensland 'three sister' dews, as they are called (adelae, schizandra, and prolifera). The Savage Garden says you can LIGHTLY firtelize other dews (light foliar spray ONLY), but procede at your own risk. Start slow and with low amounts and go from there.

If you want to play it even safer, then consider feeding your dews beta pelets, or something along those lines.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just follow the recommendations of the CP nursery owner who foliar feeds just about all his CPs at the recommended concentration - twice a month. 25 or more years experience growing CPs should count for something. A test run on a small batch would be wise.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like your sundews, I wouldn't recommend trying it at all.
    Invest $3 in a container of freeze dried blood worms. It's safe, and a good feed for ALL droseras.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't do it. I'll feed them bugs instead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good call.
    I've lost WAY too many of my most prized dews to ferts in the tray water (from other plants), experimenting, etc..
    Would hate to see someone else have to deal with similar losses when I could have helped to prevent it.

If you like, I can show you some horrorific pics of my droseras dying from fert burn back in the day.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no secret to foliar fertilizing Drosera. If they burn it's because you used the wrong fertilizer or too high of a concentration or both. The Maxsea product has gotten so popular with CP growers because it doesn't seem to cause burn whereas similar products do. Finding the right concentration isn't difficult to do either as long as have some patience. Peter D'Amato has done a lot of the heavy lifting by determining that 1/4 - 3/4 a teaspoon of the 16-16-16 MaxSea per gallon of water is the safe range for nearly all CPs.

Peter D'Amato, Lois Ochs, and Bob Hanrahan all foliar fertilize their Drosera.

Here is Bob Hanrahan's article on fertilizing CPs including Drosera in the June 1986 issue of The Carnivorous Plant Newsletter vol. 15, no. 2.
    Indeed he uses the tentacle/leaf curling reaction as the gauge for determining the ideal concentration.
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...PNv15n2p53.pdf

CP growers have been following his guidelines to great success for over 25 years. If you don't know who Bob Hanrahan is then Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 dollars.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast