Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera brevifolia in some unlikely places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. brevifolia can handle surprisingly dry conditions, as you can see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They remind me of road trips through the south in the 80's. I remember seeing Sarracenia growing in front lawns in a number of front yards - sometimes in the middle of a small town. Depending on the state, sundews could be found in most of the ditches (which often also had their own fish populations).
    Roadside Sarracenia can still be seen in South Georgia. Mostly S. minor, but some flava occasionally. S. minor is also surprisingly drought tolerant. I have seen them in soils with a moisture content comparable to the soil of a neglected housplant. These conditions are far from ideal, and the plants are often stunted, but they persist. And of course, there are not as many roadside bogs. There used to be a few S. minor growing alongside a busy road in Valdosta, but it is just a car dealership now. Those front yard wetlands are mostly gone too. A few neighborhood used to have them as well with plenty of Pings and Drosera and the occasional Sarracenia. The ditches were widened probably to prevent mosquitos, but the fish you mentioned are one of the best mosquito eaters. Stopping mosquitos from breeding in massive numbers would require us to pick up A LOT of litter, which holds water and becomes a mosquito nursery.

As for the utricularia subulata, they don't flower very much in drier conditions so they are harder to spot. It is cleistogamous, so there are still stalks and fruit. They do bloom in wetter areas where the Sarracenia grow, so I will post photos in April.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The subterra of Sarracenia bogs is usually wet, even if the surface is dry. A lot of bogs are like that in the summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12