What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews sprouting from cuttings

I know this is old hat for a lot of you, but it's new and fascinating for me. A while ago I accidentally (while trimming some flowers) cut some leaves off D. Capensis "Red" and D. binata. I tossed them into a cup with some distilled water, covered it up and basically forgot about it. Today while feeding my Nepenthes I decided to check and - voila - sprouts! How long do I let them go before trying to separate them? What do I do to separate them? Where do I got from here?!

IMG_3661 by kwende.rush1, on Flickr

IMG_3660 by kwende.rush1, on Flickr

IMG_3659 by kwende.rush1, on Flickr

Ah, you are the famous sundrew...that just now clicked; we've emailed back and forth a couple times (ben at ben-rush.net). Thanks for the site and the info.

I think you're mistaken, I haven't emailed someone named Ben. That's ok though, I like the thought of being famous.

You know what? I did make a mistake. I got you confused with sundewman (the guy who runs the site you linked to). Sorry.

Still, let's just pretend you're famous. It makes me feel less stupid and makes you feel cooler. :)

....hrm. I don't see anything on that particular page about what to do after the cuttings have started in their water. Am I missing something? I just mentions how to get the sprouts themselves going.

I thought I heard something about Aaron quitting the hobby. Or something that made me sad.. I forget.

You can leave the cuttings in the RO until you see a small root coming from the under side of the leaf. Leaving them in any longer can cause rot and death.
At this point just take a pair of scissors and snip the leaf on each side of the plantlet to free them from the leaf.
When transplanting to media it's best to keep them in a covered tray or baggie until their established. As the shock of being switched out of RO to media can sometimes cause insta-dryout-death. So keep them humid and moist..

Awesome man, that YouTube link is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks for your help and sorry about the confusion.

@mass - he is going to college and apparently getting his (graduate?) degree. He claims that's why he has been so hard to reach. I have talked with him a few times over email (mostly stuff related to his site such as broken links, etc).

IMG_0014.jpg

Back