Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: upgrade: D. schizandra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    Awesome setup! Do they self-pollinate?
    Apparently not on self-pollination & I've seen arguments on both sides of whether they are self-fertile.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Apparently not on self-pollination & I've seen arguments on both sides of whether they are self-fertile.
    pollen and stigma mature in different time frames to prevent self pollination. The term for this is dichogamous. Sort of like D. regia.

"Drosera regia flowers. The flowers are self fertile but the stigmas and anthers mature at different times. You need two flowers open at the same time to successfully pollinate them. To quote Lois Ochs: use "yesterday's pollen on today's stigma". "

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good ol' Lois..

So this flower would just be for show eh'? Debating on chopping it to save plant strength..
    Does it really make much of a difference either way? Plant seems plenty strong enough to flower without a hitch in growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to mass i as well have schiz. and now have all 3. Is it possible to hybridize any of the 3?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad you like it Ryan. pulled your pup out of the hidden clump: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/...ps55d3502a.jpg

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Lookin' great, Mass. Do I not see 2 flowers coming on that new stalk in your photo? If so you could possibly produce seed from one of them by applying pollen from the other.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    pollen and stigma mature in different time frames to prevent self pollination. The term for this is dichogamous. Sort of like D. regia.
    My recollections are a bit foggy but I don't think that was really an issue with D. schizandra. The flowers stayed open for a while with several open at the same time (for me - the issue was I just forgot to even try pollination - ooops) - there was plenty of pollen around. As you can see in the pic, the flower structure doesn't look like it would push the pollen onto the stigma when the flower closes - like many dews.

Mass - are you feeding them? I was feeding two plants when they both developed stalks. I stopped feeding one & it immediately stopped any further development - never did get a flower on that one.
    Last edited by RL7836; 02-18-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    'Lookin' great, Mass. Do I not see 2 flowers coming on that new stalk in your photo? If so you could possibly produce seed from one of them by applying pollen from the other.
    This would work potentially, but you would have to determine which organ matures first. If the pollen matures first, does it have a shelf life to prevent pollination when the ovaries mature?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast